BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I presently have a SAS dataset of audiograms with a numeric var named SPL. It contains values which represent sound pressure levels measured in decibels (dBSPL). I need to convert the values of SPL to sound pressure measured in Pa (Pascal) or uP (micropascals) and store the converted values for future analysis. Any idea how to help this novice do this in SAS?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I found this bye google searching the internet for

convert dbspl to pascal units

"'Pa' is the abbreviation for Pascal, which is a unit of pressure that is equivalent to 93.9794 dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level)."

so, the SAS statement is
Pa=93.9794* ;

If you need to know how to save a pemanent SAS dataset, you probably need a short cours e on introductory SAS. Cody's book might be useful there.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Unfortunately its not that simple. This is decibled sound pressure with a reference pressure of 0.00002Pa, it is not a simple multiplicative conversion factor.

dbSPL = 20 * LOG10(Pa/0.00002)

So the conversion is going to be

X = Pressure in Pa
Y = Presseure in dbSPL

Y=20*LOG10(X/0.00002)

Y/20 = LOG10(X/0.00002)

10^(Y/20)=X/0.00002

X = 0.00002 * 10^(Y/20)

Or in SAS Functions

X = 0.00002 * (10**(Y/20))

Ike Eisenhauer

Message was edited by: WDEisenhauer
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks! I actually had the conversion coded as:
X = 20*(10**(Y/20))/1000000;

Same result, but your's looks cleaner.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation