BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm looking for a simple solution to check is table empty or not.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have a solution! I think this is the best one 🙂

data _null_;
call symput('obscnt',0);
set work.out;
call symput('obscnt',_n_);
stop;
run;

%If &obscnt=0 %then %do;
%put 'There are no records in a dataset.';
%end;
Calcite | Level 5
Here's an alternate solution:

proc sql;
select "# of Obs in WORK.OUT: ", nobs
from dictionary.tables
where libname='WORK'
and memname = 'OUT';
quit;
deleted_user
Not applicable
That's cool, but I don't like to be depended of this "dictionary"... Ofcourse, it's up to you... 🙂
advoss
Quartz | Level 8
Why don't you like to depend upon the "dictionary" tables? Unless you are using where clause in a proc or data step, the information provided by the dictionary tables is as good as SAS is.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Some people seem to have the impression that querying the Dictionary views is a slow process. In all cases I have seen, this is a result of poorly constructed SQL code and a SAS session that includes foreign (Sql server, Oracle, DB2 etc) libraries.

A well constructed SQL query such as that shown should have no performance issues.
LawrenceHW
Quartz | Level 8
If people don't like querying dictionary tables (and I don't understand why not) you can always use the following code:

%LET dsid=%SYSFUNC(OPEN(work.dataset));
%LET nobs=%SYSFUNC(ATTRN(&dsid.,NOBS));
%LET rc=%SYSFUNC(CLOSE(&dsid.));

The number of observations is then held in a macro variable [NOBS].

%IF &Nobs. EQ 0 %THEN %DO; .... %END; etc. etc. Message was edited by: LawrenceHW
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
This is an elegant solution and one that I use a lot.

Just one warning that any %IF logic cannot be in open code -- but must be in a SAS Macro program.

cynthia
Akhil_Vijayan
Fluorite | Level 6
Am try outed this but it shows as "There are no records in a dataset" also when the data set contain observation

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation