BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ubai
Quartz | Level 8

Hi everyone,

I am doing a survival analysis using proportional hazards' model with several predictive variables. Some of the estimated hazards ratio go in an implausible direction, which contradicts what we know from the literature. For example, smoking is protective !!

I was wondering if I can force SAS to estimate HR in one direction or in a certain range.

1 REPLY 1
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

No.  The problem that you probably have is that the model has been overfit.  This typically happens when yo have too many predictor variables for the number of events.  See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_in_ten_rule

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation