BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

I'm rather new to the healthcare field and we are working on pediatric appendicitis outcomes. In the literature it is known that the racial/ethnic disparities in pediatric appendicitis outcomes are large. Unfortunately our database does not have reliable data on Race/Ethnicity. If we don't adjust for Race/Ethnicity, will our estimates for all other variables be highly suspect? Should we even move forward with the study?

Thanks,

Brian

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Your (All) study will have limitations - these are big ones. 

Is the data you're able to produce of value to others - for other research or for comparison even within your area?

BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

Reeza,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to pursue this study further given that we can't adjust for race/ethnicity, knowing that it most likely a significant factor.

Reeza
Super User

Here's the thing - when you adjust for race - it means you account for the fact that race plays an impact - but it shouldn't. So doing analysis and learning where to target treatments, without race being a factor isn't wrong. If this is solely an academic exercise, then it may not be worth it. If you're trying to implement changes in your facility that's a different question.  

ballardw
Super User

Depending on which analysis is being performed "adjusted" often means summaries by race: i.e. summarize a factor for each level of the race variable.

You might provide a little more information about what you consider unreliable. Is the data not collected at all, collected occassionally or most of the time? If you are only missing 5% of records it likely is as good as many other data sources. Or do you have clients that somehow have different race or ethnicity recorded at different times? (Don't laugh, that is one the data quality checks I run on a routine basis and see a problem with about 2% of records from on data source.)

Is it a case of ethnicity being recorded as race?

And if it is your own data it may not hurt to get management attention to this lack of detail. It may be a symptom of other data issues not discovered such as recording only one complication with a procedure when there may have been multiples or improperly indicating the severity.

BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

Reeza & BallardW,

Thanks again for your replies. They are GREATLY appreciated.

Essentially we are trying to replicate this study here: http://pophealthmetrics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1478-7954-3-4

I am pretty sure there has to be a database that has the race/ethnicity data we need but the ones we usually work with has a field for that but it is only about 5% populated.

This is not an academic exercise; we definately are interested to see if other factors are significant. But can we have faith in the result if we can't control for race?

Reeza
Super User

Do you have individual names? It's obviously not very reliable but there at algorithms to match name to race. 

BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

Reeza,

Yes we do have individual names and addresses. Do you have an algorithm in mind? I quickly googled it and found an article on Bayesian Surname and Geocoding (BSG) method at NCBI.

Thanks again!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

New Learning Events in April

Join us for two new fee-based courses: Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS via Live Web Monday-Thursday, April 24-27 from 1:00 to 4:30 PM ET each day. And Administrative Healthcare Data and SAS: Hands-On Programming Workshop via Live Web on Friday, April 28 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET.

LEARN MORE

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation