Traditional web-based reporting with SAS BI tools

MDX Expression to get LevelX Member Properties('X')

Regular Contributor

MDX Expression to get LevelX Member Properties('X')

Hi Guys,
I try to add a Data Item Property Expression in my Info Map.
Intead of the default member name on Level SalesRep I want to get the MemberProperty "AliasName".
I tried all the MDX expresssions but had no luck:

InfoMap Expression Editor:

(SalesRep).Properties('AliasName')
OR
[SalesDimension].AllMembers.Properties('AliasName')

"invalid and cannot be used in a query"

I would be gratefull for any help.
SAS Employee

Re: MDX Expression to get LevelX Member Properties('X')

Included are some examples from Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144821.aspx

Your examples below appear to be at a higher level than what the documentation states - you will need to select an individual member.

Example:
[SalesDimension].[SalesHierarchy].[Region].[State].[City].Properties('AliasName')

If you still get the error message in Information Map Studio you can choose to move forward anyway. I would then suggest grabbing the MDX code from the IMap Test Screen and testing in Base/EG.

~ Angela
Regular Contributor

Hi Angela,
thanks for that. I was afraid I had to select an individual member and unfortunately
this does not helpe me Smiley Happy Depending on the information map I want to display the AliasName instead
of the real name. Different hierarchies does not work either since the levels would not change just the member name.
Thanks again
SAS Employee

This sounds like a situation where using a stored process with your custom proc sql mdx code would be appropriate. You could then setup the information map to access it and define the table for your Web Report Studio users.

My #SASTalks webinar on Thursday last week covered how to do this for switching a query on an RDBMS - but the method would be the same in this case.

~ Angela
Regular Contributor

Thanks Angela. I will try that.
Regular Contributor

Hello,
I have had a look at opening a cube in EG and it seems I have to define a slice and temporary table as well. associating the stored process to an information map also requires a table. now, this is getting a bit too component heavy.
I was hoping to build a query or mdx expression (to just get the member property e.g. alternative naming of members in a different language) that queries the cube without going all the way through sas data sets, tables,views, slices, etc. is that possible?
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation