BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RSB
Calcite | Level 5 RSB
Calcite | Level 5
I am getting the "Insufficient memory" error while trying filter on a list of customers in the cube through WRS. There are some 15k+ customers in the list.

The current MEMSIZE is 1 GB for the OLAP server, does increasing the MEMSIZE to 5 GB makes any difference, given that we have 30 GB memory available on the server?

at present we have a maximum of 2-3 users using the application parallel.

Thanks in Advance.
3 REPLIES 3
AngelaHall
SAS Employee
If this is a Windows 32-bit machine, you are limited to 2GB per process. Windows 64-bit can be set higher (this is defined in the sasv9_olapserver.cfg file (Windows) or OLAPServer.sh file (Unix)) and might allow for enough space to generate the result.

The important item to note is that queries against cubes with high cardinality levels (such as your >15k customer list) can result in a large memory usage. You might want to add a hierarchical structure in the customer dimension to reduce the cardinality - such as having the 1st level in the hierarchy = the alphabet.

~ Angela
RSB
Calcite | Level 5 RSB
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Angela, Thanks for the Reply ,We have a 64-bit machine so I guess increasing the MEMSIZE to 5 GB might work for me.

I will certainly consider adding the Hierarchical structure to reduce the cardinality.

Thanks for your suggestion, very useful indeed. Message was edited by: RSB
TSBruce
SAS Employee
You can check out http://support.sas.com/kb/19/765.html for more information about how cardinality affects result set size (and in turn memory consumption).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation