Traditional web-based reporting with SAS BI tools

Cumulative Totals

Contributor

Cumulative Totals

Anybody have any recommendations for displaying cumulative running totals across a dimension? i.e. show total products sold by month.

I can definitely do this from an ETL perspective, I'd like to accomplish in the information map.
SAS Employee

Re: Cumulative Totals

Show totals in the info map or in the report?
Contributor

In the report. I'm not talking about totals or sub totals as you can set with WRS. I'm talking about a running cumulative total.
SAS Employee

I think you may be in luck, if your underlying data is an OLAP cube. You can create a custom data item based on a relative time function, which allows OLAP data to display things like differences, percent change, and rolling totals in a time dimension. Search this documentation for "rolling total" and see if that will work for you:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/citug/61084/HTML/default/n1irtj68ymv2o9n1l7z5oe7v0ber.ht...
Contributor

I'll take a look at this, I can easily load the data I'm using into a cube.
Contributor

This works very well. Thanks for the insight. I notice when you drill into the time dimension, the cumulative total is just for that specific level of the time hierarchy. Makes sense. It would be nice to have a global running total but I think this would require some data transformation work beforehand.
Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation