BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
elisehoo1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi there, 

would like to check what is the difference of loading the data to sashdat (filepath)  and the in-memory global table ? 

wondering if i am loading the data to sashdat via proce casutil  ,does it taking memory ? 

and if best the practice is to load the data to global session in memory table or sashdat for VA reporting purpose? 

Thanks

Elise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @elisehoo1 ,

Quickly answering from the top of my head here, so I hope I'm right (and not making any blunders).

For Visual Analytics you absolutely need an in-memory table (mostly a "promoted" one that is available across sessions).

The .sashdat file is not in-memory. It's on-disk, but it's a special Viya format that allows you to rapidly put data in-memory again. The .sashdat file is a kind of permanent copy of an in-memory table.

The .sashdat file is on-disk, so it's not lost when the server is rebooted. After rebooting all in-memory data are "evaporated" of course.

Cheers,

Koen

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @elisehoo1 ,

Quickly answering from the top of my head here, so I hope I'm right (and not making any blunders).

For Visual Analytics you absolutely need an in-memory table (mostly a "promoted" one that is available across sessions).

The .sashdat file is not in-memory. It's on-disk, but it's a special Viya format that allows you to rapidly put data in-memory again. The .sashdat file is a kind of permanent copy of an in-memory table.

The .sashdat file is on-disk, so it's not lost when the server is rebooted. After rebooting all in-memory data are "evaporated" of course.

Cheers,

Koen

elisehoo1
Obsidian | Level 7

there was one observation that i observed about the sashdat and in-memory table 

let's say if there are two same table name like below , one is in memory table , one is in sashdat.

In the event the in-memory tables have gone missing due to memory has been flushed due unforeseen behavior (server restarts or etc) or  this particular in-memory table be unloaded in purpose .  The "Magic" happens when we open the sas va report that using this table, it will bring back the in-memory table as the "same name".sashdat will be automatically be picked up and reloaded to the in-memory table .

This is amazing.. but what is the mechanism behind and if any documentation talking about ? 

elisehoo1_0-1626962220656.png

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation