BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fireworkssheep
Calcite | Level 5

I am currently working though the SAS Viya Administration Fast Track self training. Our organization had a outside party setup our SAS Viya (currently LTS 2022.1) on AWS. My main goals were to:

1. Make sure we had a workable backup and recovery process. Possibly even able to test run these processes.
  2. Know how to perform system/software updates. Using the backups in step one just in case.
  3. Understand how to help our users adapt to the Viya System

Obviously number 3 will take time as we all work though different actions.

I wanted to know if there are any additional guides to help walk though the first update and/or Backup process. I've been reading though the documentation and found we do now have 'Deployment Operator' active in our system, and would need to update to activate that. I get the feeling that both the class and the documentation is either light, or the process is simple enough that documentation isn't needed.

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/itopscdc/v_032/k8sag/p0cc5i51v7t370n1q6a1n8n4bcsy.htm

I haven't been able to locate any videos or external SAS resources which help outline what the process looks like. Are their any additional training information which I should be looking for?

1 REPLY 1
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I'm not aware of anything outside the documentation to talk about these processes.

Typically the backup process is set up during deployment. The documentation talks about what is and is not backed up, how to run backups manually, schedule them, perform restores.

LTS 2022.01 - Backup and Restore: Overview
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/sasadmincdc/v_027/calbr/p1hkatn0s9p84fn19swyxm88fors.htm

Deploying Viya involves downloading your asset files from SAS, setting up your kustomization.yaml file to make modifications to those asset files appropriate for your configuration through patches in a site-config directory, and then using kustomize to build a site.yaml file that contains all the stuff that needs to be created in Kubernetes using the assets from a SAS and the customizations you provide in your kustomization.yaml.

The deployment operator does the downloading of the assets from SAS and the running of kustomize to build site.yaml for you, so you only need to provide it with your customizations and license information.

When you update, what changes is the asset files from SAS. Sometimes, these changes require you to change your customizations before building a new site.yaml, or perform actions before or after applying the site.yaml. The Deployment Notes in the documentation outline these changes, so when performing an update you would want to review these notes for each version from your current version to the version you are trying to move to so you can make any necessary changes.

LTS 2022.01 - Get Started with Updating Software
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/sasadmincdc/v_027/k8sag/p0hm2t63wm8qcqn1iqs6y8vw8y81.htm
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer