Exploring, modeling, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

sas va row number

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

sas va row number

Hi,

Is there a way to add row numbers to a list table?

In base/enterprise guide can use _N_, but could not find an easy solution in SAS VA.

thks,

Sukhbir

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-28-2016 06:28 PM
SAS Employee

Re: sas va row number

Hi rajsukh,

SAS Visual Analytics Designer doesn't currently have an option the lets you display row numbers for list tables.

-Joy

View solution in original post

All Replies
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have a recommendation on how this can be achieved?

Thanks in advance

Solution
‎07-28-2016 06:28 PM
SAS Employee

Hi rajsukh,

SAS Visual Analytics Designer doesn't currently have an option the lets you display row numbers for list tables.

-Joy

Esteemed Advisor

You could create a variable during data prep using the techniques you mention.
But I can't really see when seeing a row no is relevant during analysis?
Data never sleeps
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joy,

Thanks for response, this is shame. It is useful in a list table when looking at top 50 or 100 of data, say by revenue figure. This is when it is useful Linush in Sas VA. Can't by done in data prep is my understanding if you apply filters to list table such as area.

Hope it makes sense.
SAS Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi rajsukh,

SAS Visual Analytics Designer might have another feature that you can use with your revenue figures. 

You can rank values to subset your data.  For example, using the Rank tab, you could create a rank to display the top 10 stores for revenue.  When you apply a rank, you can specify top count, bottom count, top percent, or bottom percent.  You can apply a rank to your data item, and then use that data item in a list table. 

Here's the related information in the SAS Visual Analytics 7.3 User's GuideRanking Values in Reports.  (There's similar information for previous releases here:  http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/index.html.)

-Joy

Occasional Contributor

Yes I am aware of this and works well to show top 10/20 etc. However I have list where stakeholder wants to see top 50 or 100 so a row number would be useful when you look down this list. It's a really simple cosmetic thing to have so bit surprised SAS VA does not have a solution for it. It's almost like building in a count function or _n_ to label rows and can be dynamic. Thanks again.
SAS Employee

Thanks for the additional explanation.  I understand why you want the row numbers in the list table.  I'm sorry the list table doesn't have a property like this in the current release.

-Joy 

Occasional Contributor

Is there any plan to bring row count as function in next release.. ?
New Contributor

I able to use _N_ in data prepration after unlock manual editing to index rows in my table. At the last table in the code, add the line anyColumnName = _N_;

Occasional Contributor

Ah ok, we will try this if the need comes up again to add row numbers
Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation