BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mklybor
Calcite | Level 5

I am setting up VA for mobile access for the first time. Which server do I expose to the mobile devices? Is it the same server:port that I connect to as the VA Hub (in my case port 7980) as used to view reports via web browser? Is this documented anywhere?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

For the SAS Mobile BI 6.3 client I used the mid-tier server host name in the Domain field and 7980 in the Port field port 7980. I connect over a VPN and it works fine.

There's documentation about adding a server connection for the the iPad client in the SAS(R) Visual Analytics 6.3: User's Guide (that documentation doesn't quite match the fields seen in the 6.3 client user interface).

There are also some video tutorials at SAS Mobile BI including a "Connect to Servers" video. It's for an older version but the concept is the same.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

For the SAS Mobile BI 6.3 client I used the mid-tier server host name in the Domain field and 7980 in the Port field port 7980. I connect over a VPN and it works fine.

There's documentation about adding a server connection for the the iPad client in the SAS(R) Visual Analytics 6.3: User's Guide (that documentation doesn't quite match the fields seen in the 6.3 client user interface).

There are also some video tutorials at SAS Mobile BI including a "Connect to Servers" video. It's for an older version but the concept is the same.

mklybor
Calcite | Level 5

we try to route all of our mobile traffic through a common front end and then proxy it to the appropriate web/app server. do you know the protocol that is used? and , assuming it is HTTP, what do the URLs look like?

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The protocol will be whichever you chose during installation or post-installation configuration (i.e. HTTP or HTTPS). The SAS Web Server is already acting as a reverse proxy for the SAS applications running in the SAS Web Application Server. I have reverse-proxied SAS 9.3 apps behind Apache in the past, but haven't tried it with VA 6.3 as yet (since the SAS Web Server is already doing it). If you have an existing reverse proxy server you need to use, then the Configuring the Middle Tier to Use an Existing Customer Reverse Proxy instructions in the SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Middle-Tier Administration Guide, Second Edition might be of interest to you. That's something I would try if I needed to. I don't know for sure if using a third party reverse proxy is supported for VA so that might be a good question for SAS technical support.

If you want to have a look at the URLs being used you could take a look in the SAS Web Server access.log (SAS-configuration-directory/LevN/Web/WebServer/logs/access.log). You'll see the paths without the procotol, hostname or port - those other items you can find by looking in the SAS Management Console Configuration Manager plug-in.  The document mentioned above also mentions "In order to determine which URLs to proxy, review the SAS-configuration-directory\Levn\Web\WebServer\conf\sas.conf file."

ivnsau
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Paul,

How do you create the VPN connection?, that's what I need to configure Windows Server 2008

Please, Thanks

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The VPN connection is not a SAS thing. Talk to your network admins to see if VPN access is appropriate and available in your environment. If so, they should be able to set it up for you (there are several different types).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Today is the last day to save with the early bird rate! Register today for just $695 - $100 off the standard rate.

Plus, pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation