BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sridhar_m
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Friends,

Actually I would like to show pie chart or bar chart or any other useful visual as a tooltip (like Tableau & PowerBI)

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

SRi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobbyP
SAS Employee

Hey @sridhar_m,

You can achieve what you're looking for in SAS Visual Analytics using the Pop-up Window capability. Here is the documentation page for Visual Analytics 8.4.

Starting with a Pie chart showing Adverse Capital Ration by LoB.

Starting with a pie chartStarting with a pie chart

Double click on a LoB, "Energy" for example...

dbl-click on a pie wedge, in this case "Energy", and have a custom pop-up window displayed.dbl-click on a pie wedge, in this case "Energy", and have a custom pop-up window displayed.

and a custom pop-up window is displayed based on the selected LoB (pie wedge).

Here is the report in design mode:

Screenshot 2020-10-01 113512.jpg

From the pie chart page, I link to the hidden "Detailed Info" page.

Screenshot 2020-10-01 113529.jpg

and build the custom pop-up window I want to see for the pie chart. 

Hope this helps!

Robby

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello Sri,

Could you explain what you want in more detail? When should the tooltip be displayed?

Thanks,

Sam

sridhar_m
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Sam,

Please find the attached PowerBI doc for your reference and let me know your valuable suggestions on this.

Regards,

Sri

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Thanks for providing an example!

If I understand correctly, the feature you want is a "data tip" for each bar or pie segment when you move the cursor over that element. Is that correct?

VA does provide data tips, and in recent versions of VA you can add variables to the Data Tip Values role to display those values. Here is an example:

datatip.gif

If the chart is maximized, we also display a summary data table below the chart.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Another option to explore the data for a selected slice of a pie chart would be to create a List Table object that is filtered by the pie chart. This would enable you to see individual rows of detail data.

Thanks,

Sam

sridhar_m
Obsidian | Level 7
Dear Sam,

Thank you for your detailed explanation. But the thing is Data tip is different than the Tool Tip.
It is like when even you mouse hover on any data points on any existing report it should show tool tip as a "Report" (it may be any kind like pie, bar, list, crosstab or any detailed report related to that data item).

Regards,
Sri
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Thanks for the additional clarification.

I will see if someone more familiar with Tableau / PowerBI can help.

Sam
sridhar_m
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Sam,

Yes, you are right. I am not sure may be this kind of similary is there in SAS Visual Analytics or not. 

I am experienced even PowerBI/Tableau too.

Regards,

Sri

RobbyP
SAS Employee

Hey @sridhar_m,

You can achieve what you're looking for in SAS Visual Analytics using the Pop-up Window capability. Here is the documentation page for Visual Analytics 8.4.

Starting with a Pie chart showing Adverse Capital Ration by LoB.

Starting with a pie chartStarting with a pie chart

Double click on a LoB, "Energy" for example...

dbl-click on a pie wedge, in this case "Energy", and have a custom pop-up window displayed.dbl-click on a pie wedge, in this case "Energy", and have a custom pop-up window displayed.

and a custom pop-up window is displayed based on the selected LoB (pie wedge).

Here is the report in design mode:

Screenshot 2020-10-01 113512.jpg

From the pie chart page, I link to the hidden "Detailed Info" page.

Screenshot 2020-10-01 113529.jpg

and build the custom pop-up window I want to see for the pie chart. 

Hope this helps!

Robby

sridhar_m
Obsidian | Level 7
Dear Robby,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Yes, here you have provided as a pagelink. Agree. But it's not similar as PowerBI & Tableau.
You have mentioned that when ever you double click on that particular item new page link you have provided. I think it's not yet implemented in SAS Visual Analytics.
Cheers,
Regards,
Sri
RobbyP
SAS Employee

Correct, the report is designed with the pop-up window as a page link; however, it is indeed a pop-up window. I'm interested to understand the difference you see. Is your concern that it requires a dbl-click rather than hover?

sridhar_m
Obsidian | Level 7
Dear Robby,

No, It is different than mouse hover on Energy automatically it should show rather than double click on Energy.

Thanks & Regards,
Sri
Surya_Ravindran
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Sridhar,

You can use a prompt container to show bar charts in the similar format to a tool tip

Regards,

Surya

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation