BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
marygraceC
Calcite | Level 5

i am looking for a quick way to represent the various data sets in my SAS program as database symbols,

connect them with diamond shapes to represent decision points and finally a shape for a data table or REPORT - just as you would depict a flow chart

of the logic contained in a computer program that involves ETL and Analytics.

I know EG has a  PROCESS FLOW option we can select under VIEW -- but maybe there is another graphic package that is available with VA?

and YES and a user pointed out in 2010 --- SAS/OR and NETGRAPH can accomplish a flow chart looking visual -- but that is overly complicated for my current task....

4 REPLIES 4
justin_sas
SAS Employee

Unfortunately SAS Visual Analytics out of the box doesn’t have the ability to create flowchart like visuals and save them as PDF’s. Though I believe you can probably do this with SAS/Graph using the annotate functionality and then either call the code via a Stored Process and print to PDF in SAS Visual Analytics, or use ODS PDF wrapping your annotate code to create the PDF.

I have cross posted this in the SAS/Graph community to see if they have more ideas for you.

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

If creating these with SAS/OR and Netgraph is overly complicated, creating them (using custom annotate code, etc) in SAS/Graph probably would be overly complicated too Smiley Happy  I do not know of an easy way to create such diagrams in SAS/Graph.

Quentin
Super User

If you are willing to draw the flow chart in Word (RTF), and then use SAS to update it with names of datasets, counts of records, etc.  I like this approach from Art Carpenter.

www.wuss.org/proceedings11/Papers_Carpenter_A_74920.pdf

But that's not really what you were looking for...

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

You could probably do this with custom markers in a scatter plot on top of a dendrogram perhaps (assuming you need branching) or a series plot (if you don't need branching), but I second Rob's opinion - it's probably more complicated than you'd want. Would be nice if we had a "Flowchart" graph type Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation