BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Allan_dk
Quartz | Level 8

Where do I find the size of the datasets loaded to memory?

I now have more than 50 tables loaded in the LASR-server.

The Sizing Guideline for Single Machine have a guideline about

• largest individual table size (16 GB)
  • total GB loaded to memory. (180 GB)

I can only find information about number of rows and columns.

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

In base SAS in SASHELP.VTABLE, find your table (where libname=library and dataset=memname), and it will show you FILESIZE variable, I assume its in bytes.

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi,

You can use proc datasets to get info for all your loaded tables.

proc datasets library=sashelp;

run;

quit;

Allan_dk
Quartz | Level 8

Just to specify.

It is the datasets loaded to memory in the LASR-server.

There are no physical files, therefore sashelp.vtable.filesize=0

proc datasets don't give me much information.

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Not sure about LASR-server, try to explore SASFILE statement if that works in this situation.

JasonAllen
SAS Employee

Hello Allan_dk,

Because of the way data is loaded into a LASR server, it's difficult to say.  For example, if source SAS data is loaded into HDFS, then into a LASR server, a LASR table only consumes memory while it is being used.  If not, it consumes memory as long as it is loaded.  Also for example, levelization increases memory consumption.

However, you can get a rough estimate of the size of (uncompressed) data using the SASIOLA libname engine and PROC DATASETS CONTENTS by multiplying the number of observations ("Observations") by the observation length ("Observation Length").

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation