BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
arnouxvr
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a variable that I changed to have a custom sort. When assigning the variable to a role of an object it sorts according to the custom sort which is correct.

However, when I create a new Hierarchy with the custom sort variable described above as the first level the new Hierarchy variable does not sort according to the what was set with the custom sort. 

5 REPLIES 5
RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

I wasn't able to recreate this issue in VA 7.3. I checked to ensure the custom sort was correct for the first level of a hierarchy in both a crosstab and a bar chart. Note that for a bar chart, the initial sort is by the measure and descending. To get the custom sort, you have to right click on the category label and choose sort while in Designer.

juliamorgan
Fluorite | Level 6

I have the extact same problem.

When I use the variable it works fine with the custom sort.

When I use the same variable in a heirachy, the custom sort disappears. However, it is fine in the actual graph - the problam is only in the legend.

One is just using the variable, 2 is the heirachy.

Using v 7.3.

customSort.PNG

arnouxvr
Fluorite | Level 6
This is actually a limitation of Visual Analytics at this stage, as according to the documentation, a custom sort does not work if the data item is assigned to one of the legend data roles (either Colour or Group). The same restriction applies when sorting on the raw values of a data item that has a user-defined format.

Creating a user-defined format is a possible workaround. Instead of having your Risk Rating - Raw column having values such as AA, A, B1 etc. you would have the column as a number format (1, 2, 3), then add a user-defined format to invoke the Risk Ratings (example, 1 = ""AA"", 2 = ""A"", 3 = ""B1"" etc.)
_kimi_
Calcite | Level 5

I have a situations where I have to sort a Priority List which can take values from A20 - A1 and B20 - B1. However, many of those values are currently missing. Can I sort the variables in a descending order (all the 40 variables) so that when the currently missing values appear in future, this will be automatically sorted in the dashboard?

acordes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Probably you can fix it by putting an aggregated table in between.
The custom category should become static once brought to the aggregated table.
Try it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation