BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
howardn
Calcite | Level 5

Is there a way to set up an advanced text filter that would return all text cases for a particular word without having to enter all the alternatives.

For example: <text category> does not contain "dog" (any case)  - this should exclude all text for dog DOG Dog or DOg. Is there an operator that can do this?

Thanks,

Howard

7 REPLIES 7
art297
Opal | Level 21

A number of functions (e.g., find and the regex functions) contain a modifier that ignores case.

Didn't realize that you asked this in regard to VA. Couldn't you edit the sql expression to apply the UPCASE function to the variable name?

howardn
Calcite | Level 5

Yes thanks, this is for VA 7.1. So your saying import all sql text as upcase? I'd prefer to just deal with however the data appears on the SQL side as in some cases there may be a distinct difference and I'd rather not set an ETL import rule like that.  I'd like to just use a single function in my filter that will ignore case. As it is, I am entering multiple word filters to cover the most common case formats.

art297
Opal | Level 21

No, but I've never used VA. However, according to the documentation: 4 (Optional) You can click the Functions tab and select the functions to use with filtering.

I think that you only need to use the function UPCASE.

howardn
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks. I'll check it out, though I'm not sure it's the solution.

max00d
Obsidian | Level 7

You can set up an advanced filter to do this kind of operation.  I have used something similar (i believe) to allow users to use a smart search function.  Set up a parameter and then link this to an input box.  Drive the advanced filter from this imput box (the parameter).  In the advanced filter you can the add 'upcase' of whatever you need.

This is a screenshot of what I think you need to explore:

Magazine Combined_2015-03-04_16-44-30.png

howardn
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Max. I'll check it out. Where would the input box appear? Is it just in the Adv Filter screen or does it appear somewhere in the Exploration right window?

HowardNewstadt
Fluorite | Level 6

Actually a very good solution, thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation