BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Forum,

I can upload through EG to VA without a problem but I want to keep adding data to the same table.

Is this supported?

if so, how can it be done?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

I found out through SAS Tech support that the 'BASE' table was the table that held all the appended data & I was looking at the 'JOB' file instead.

Should've realised this but there it is...

So append was working correctly & appending my records.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

OK, I've found that if I upload as separate tables I can then go to 'LASR' >> Append tables & append the tables.

Now I want to view this new consolidated table through Excel, but as it isn't a table object, it isn't available to select?

Is there a way to change the new tables so I can access through Excel?

Thanks

boschy
Fluorite | Level 6

In EG I am able to connect to our VA metadata repository, and then assign the LASR server library (by default it is not assigned).

Next I just select a LASR data table and send the data to Excel.

This may cause locking problems, so I would be careful...perhaps the SAS gurus can comment.

Just a question...can't you view this table in a VA exploration or report, and then export the data to Excel?

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Boschy,

I'm not trying to export to Excel if that's what you mean. I want to connect to a SAS VA table through the Excel SAS Add In & then view & slice/dice the data with a Pivot table.

So the data I'm using is in memory.

Because I want to add more data to the table each week, I want to append more data. I've found that once I append the data it isn't visible through Excel.

I need to either change the object after the append or something else so I can access via Excel.

boschy
Fluorite | Level 6

SAS Add-In for MS Office is a similar approach. You should be able to see the LASR server in metadata and access the LASR tables.

However, given that a LASR server library may not automatically pre-assigned (as is our case), it may not appear as a library in an Add-In for MS Office session.

What I suggest is re-thinking your approach. My thought is that Excel Add-In queries should not be reading SAS VA LASR tables...you are taking resources away from VA. Instead, that data should also be maintained (via PROC APPENDs etc) as a dataset outside VA, i.e. in its own Base SAS library. Then you read that library from Excel.

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks but I have plenty of VA resources & this is what I need to do.

I just need to know how it can be done.

VA already allows the slicing & dicing of tables via the Add In, I just want to be able to append data to those tables.

Anyone?

Oscarboots
Quartz | Level 8

I found out through SAS Tech support that the 'BASE' table was the table that held all the appended data & I was looking at the 'JOB' file instead.

Should've realised this but there it is...

So append was working correctly & appending my records.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation