BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JPinkman
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I have a dataset with a seemingly normal string type category in SAS VA (it contains first and last name of employees, separated by a space). Somehow this category is assigned the $hex format. I cannot change it and it makes the category useless in the report since it displays the content in hexadecimal format.

Can anyone share some insights on this?

many thanks!

1 REPLY 1
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi,

How did the table get loaded into SAS Visual Analytics? It sounds like you may have some unrecognizable characters in the source table that is causing SAS Visual Analytics to automatically use the $hex format. What was the source table? If it is a SAS table, what encoding is the table.

Do you have access to SAS Enterprise Guide to look at the source table and table in your LASR library to do a proc compare? I suspect there is an extra character(s) somewhere in the column that is causing this and you may need to do some pre-processing/cleansing before the table is loaded into SAS Visual Analytics.

Some references that may help:

41929 - How to search a variable for any character that may be an unprintable character or not a sta...

SAS(R) 9.4 Functions and CALL Routines: Reference, Third Edition - NOTPRINT Function

Let us know how you go with your investigation.

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation