Exploring, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

Translations in SAS Visual Analytics

Regular Contributor

Translations in SAS Visual Analytics

I'm experiencing a lot of difficulties for making translations for reports in SAS VA.

For example:

My browser is set in English. I develop the reports with SAS VA in English, but I have to create the reports in NL (dutch) and FR (french).

So when I create the report in my mother tongue Dutch, in an english browser the language is EN_us.

But it could be that someone his browser is set to Dutch, so i have to copy the EN_US to NL. And then i have to translate the NL to FR.

In the end i have 3 language files i have to maintain? Each time a label changes, i have to change it 3 times. It's not really friendly/easy to use.

Any best practices, tips?

Thx!

Contributor

Re: Translations in SAS Visual Analytics

SAS Employee

Hi @Filipvdr,

There's a whilte paper by Will Ballard and Elizabeth Bales called One Report, Many Languages: Using SAS Visual Analytics to Localize Your Reports that you might find helpful.  (It's based on a SAS Global Forum paper they presented.)  The paper's content is applicable for the 7.1 - 7.4 releases.

Hope this helps,

Joy

SAS Employee

Hello @Filipvdr,

What is your approach to translate the data values in your report ?

I am looking for best practices.

Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

Posted in reply to ilsescheys

Hello Ilse,

We tried to work with excel sheets to translate all elements in a report. But when a report is still a work in progress the updating is really frustrating so i would advice to do it as a last step in the process. 

For the rest we followed all the posibilities

- for data elements we had a button with NL/FR to switch from Antwerp to Anvers. Both should be available as columns in your data and you had to create a new calculated item that would change to the correct value, corresponding with the parameter which was linked to your button NL/FR.

- for titles we used the provided functionalities

But in the end it's not really user friendly for heavy reports, a lot of work, after a while, sometimes changes were not saved anymore, ... 

Good luck Smiley Happy 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation