BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Vansh7827
Calcite | Level 5

How to join table in star schema with outer join in Sas viya ??

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Star Schema is a generic concept, so can you please elaborate around your requirement, setting the context?

In SAS Compute you can use PROC SQL, in CAS you could use PROC FedSQL to do the join.

Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Update, since you are in V, I realize you men star schema in CAS. This exists in Viya 3.5 only, and has been discontinued in Viya 4 if I didn't get i wrong. SO you want direction how set up a star schema for VA in Viya 3.5?
Data never sleeps
Vansh7827
Calcite | Level 5
We are currently on 3.5 and we are joining the tables using star schema , but only inner join works in Sas viya because of that we are getting data which have common rows and we need outer join. So is there any solution for using outer join ??
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I think the general idea of a star schema is to use it only with inner joins. One aspect that it will perform joins quicker.

As I see it, your work-around is to build "better" dimensions so you don't have to rely on outer joins. This could include "Unknown", or "Other" entries in your dimension tables.

Another option is to create CAS views. I wouldn't expect them to be as fast, especially with outer joins.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation