attachments. -##
muralinori_sas
SAS Employee

In the plans 🙂   

Murali  

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

Is there any update/documentation with regards custom made maps for sas VA?

I was following some example from SAS and I managed to get the customised geographical information, in a Geo Bubble and Geo Coordinates, but not working properly in Geo REgion Map. This is after including maps into the SA Va server.

I was wondering if there is documentation to explain what the steps required to have the custom areas in a Geo REgion Map.

Regards,

Rita

SVFT
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Rita!

I have not heard anything from SAS...and same as many in this group,  I went back to  Enterprise guide and  proc gmap.

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Yes, support for custom polygons / shape files was added in VA 7.4 and related documentation is available online. I'm not sure whether your organization has plans to upgrade?

The next release of VA will have an even easier integration and only requires the import and registration of custom boundaries via an admin user interface. We are also planning to support non-SAS hosted boundary data (Esri feature services) which takes away the import part. Hope this helps! Cheers, Falko

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks for the reply.

My organisation may be in the process to upgrate but they just got their system installed 6/8 months ago.

We are in the 7.3 version.

After having appropriate SAS shape files, I manage to get the Geo bubble map and the geo coordinates working, based on the information provided by the new shape shapes. However the Geo REgion MAp did not work, map was completely blank.

However, when I tried the Geo Region Map among the data explorer (version 7.3 still has the distinction between explorer and report designer, a contrast to version 7.4), the geo Region Map worked. 

The solution that I used is unsupported by SAS, but it would be good to understand why I do not manage to get he Geo Region Map working.

ThanksGeo Bubble vs Geo Region maps.PNG

Geo Region working on data explorer.PNG

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

As you said - we do not officially support custom regions in 7.3 or earlier but the structure hasn't changed much here so you should be able to get this working even in earlier versions. The most common issue if regions aren't rendered is related to either the registration in the underlying lookup table named CENTLOOKUP (check for correct library and data set name and make sure the data set name ends with the prefix "1") or that the given library is not available during runtime (remember to add a libname statement to appserver_autoexec_usermods.sas in <config_dir>/Lev1/SASApp and restart services after that).

Also, make sure your custom boundary data file has all relevant columns including ID SEGMENT IDNAME LONG LAT X Y ISO RESOLUTION LAKE ISOALPHA2 AdminType.

Hope this helps!! Let us know how you go.

Cheers, Falko

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Forgot to mention - a worthwhile read may also be the discussion at https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/GeoMapping-with-SAS-VA/td-p/349311 which seems to cover the same topic. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 11 in conversation