Exploring, modeling, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

SAS VA vs Tableau

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAS VA vs Tableau

Is there a good article that states the major difference and advantages of SAS VA vs TABLEAU. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-25-2017 04:56 PM
Occasional Contributor

Re: SAS VA vs Tableau

We switched from a Tableau deployment to SAS VA and other products about 2 years ago.  I think Tableau is still out in front in the visualization space and they do offer a server option for an enterprise deployment.  Where SAS really differentiates is the wealth of integrated back end data management and processing functionality through Enterprise Guide.

If you are looking for a tool to specifically create visualizations off of point and click or SQL queries then Tableau is a great tool.  Its very easy to use but doesn't sacrifice depth.  It can create visually sophisticated reports but is limited when dealing with large and complex data warehouses.  I still have several Tableau licenses, but I use them more in one off instances and sometimes as a training tool when someone is learning our data structure.

If you are looking at an enterprise solution for Analytics and data management and visual is a big component of that for you, then SASVA is the better choice.  Currently SAS is on a very aggressive 6 month cycle for new releases in VA and have been able to add a wealth of functionality with each release without detracting from the reliability and usability of the tools.  For us, it is a mission critical tool and it continues to improve.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Valued Guide

Not very extensive resrearched but the information looks correct: Compare SAS Visual Analytics vs Tableau | IT Central Station

Seeing this: Understanding Functional Differences Between OLAP and Relational Data Source Connections | Tableau S...

That is different with SAS-VA as avoiding cube building http://www.sas.com/software/visual-analytics/demos/explore/SAS-Visual-Analytics-Quickstart-Guide.pdf

And than finding others are on the same direction: Got SAP HANA? Get Tableau! (redux) | Tableau Software

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Grand Advisor

I haven't worked with SAS VA, but with Tableau.

It's sort of nice but not great in my opinion. I don't know how my issues would compare to VA either, and these are from working on the desktop version.

1. Difficult to share work between colleagues - need to have reader installed or Server version

2. Mapping isn't where I'd like it to be, can't display both points and polygons

3. Fully point and click interface - no programming

4. No style themes. If you have to implement a corporate theme you have to do it every time manually. Hopefully this has changed.

Things I like:

1. They have a fully free version with a way to post things to the public for free so you can learn

2. Makes it easy to display multiple dashboards from a single view.

3. Easy to get started because of desktop availability

Regular Contributor

Hi reeza,

please check the free sas va web testversion on the sas website.

1 Full web based, no problem sharing work.

2 Check the demo or the documentation for your expectations.

3 No programming, everything there in the web application.

4 Yes corporate theme can by integrated for everyone at once.

1 There is a viewer user setup that only allows viewing via the web, so no problem.

2 No problem with sas va, even over multiple tabs. (Check te demo version)

3 Easy to start because of web availability.

go for the demo version or invite sas for a demo. please do not expect objective compares, this can only be done by your self because every ones expectations and/or needs are different.

I am a VA user and never regretted this, but that can be different for other users.!!

Greetings and good luck.

Solution
‎05-25-2017 04:56 PM
Occasional Contributor

We switched from a Tableau deployment to SAS VA and other products about 2 years ago.  I think Tableau is still out in front in the visualization space and they do offer a server option for an enterprise deployment.  Where SAS really differentiates is the wealth of integrated back end data management and processing functionality through Enterprise Guide.

If you are looking for a tool to specifically create visualizations off of point and click or SQL queries then Tableau is a great tool.  Its very easy to use but doesn't sacrifice depth.  It can create visually sophisticated reports but is limited when dealing with large and complex data warehouses.  I still have several Tableau licenses, but I use them more in one off instances and sometimes as a training tool when someone is learning our data structure.

If you are looking at an enterprise solution for Analytics and data management and visual is a big component of that for you, then SASVA is the better choice.  Currently SAS is on a very aggressive 6 month cycle for new releases in VA and have been able to add a wealth of functionality with each release without detracting from the reliability and usability of the tools.  For us, it is a mission critical tool and it continues to improve.

Contributor

Hi,

Working in an organization wherein we deal with Tableau, Qlik, Spotfire,

Simple comparison

Tableau

-  Visualization, Light weighted, , pretty lean learning curve ( download ,install and use tutorial),  I believe it allows a lot of flexibility via programming and that applies to its integration with third party.

SAS

-  Power packed with loads of functionality ( Compared to SAS EBI)

- Mostly GUI driven.

- Additional visualization one needs to resort to SAS STP.

let me know if there is some more details needed.

Cheers

Ronny

SAS Employee

Hi Yannis –

Neutral, third-party articles can be difficult to find, but industry analysts often serve as excellent resources for this sort of question. 

The BI Scorecard Strategic and Product Summary - Q4 2014 provides a good comparison of strategic considerations and key capabilities in solutions offered by vendors in the BI/Data Visualization space.  The author, Cindi Howson, performs extensive and rigorous hands-on product reviews.  We think it’s a fair representation of both the scope (breadth) and the capabilities (depth) of several BI offerings. 

Another very good source of comparative information would be The Forrester Wave™: Agile Business Intelligence Platforms, Q3 2014, by Boris Evelson.  The scores found on page 10 of that report might likewise provide valuable context.

I hope these reports are helpful!

All the Best,

David

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 7 in conversation