BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
robertopostma
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Community,

A 2nd post, for a different problem that I have in SAS VA. 

See the attached Excel for the problem description. 

To briefly repeat it here: 

- I have a report, in which many charts are filtered on 1 parameter (named NR). This is no problem 

- Now I want to make a new tab, and filter its charts on the entity that is associated with this number. In my data, 1 entity has multiple NRs and 1 NR always has 1 entity (so based on the NR parameter, I'd like to lookup the entity and filter the charts on this)

- I prefer to avoid a 2nd parameter "entity", since it can be derived from NR

I cannot get this (filtering on a calculated field based on my parameter) working in SAS VA... Is this somehow possible?

I have attached an Excelfile with a sample dataset and scenario's to explain the problem better.

I discussed it with some colleagues too, but so far no luck (yet).

I hope you can shine some bright light on it, or advise me on the solution that fits my requirement best.

Thanks!

Roberto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

Roberto:

Now re: this post of yours ...

You can avoid requiring the users having to input an additional parameter "ENTITY" but you still need to have it.

It can automatically be filtered by the NR Parameter though.  And then it can automatically filter the List Table.

See attached screen capture.

I used a Button Bar for ENTITY.  I imagine you could use other Controls as well.

They key though is ...

1) Don't show Frequencies for ENTITY within the Control

2) Under Properties ... un-check 'Enable selection in the viewers' and check 'Required'

3) For hard-coded Filter for the Control, eventhough it's displaying ENTITY, create an Advanced Filter where NR = NR_PARAM

4) Under Styles for the Control, try to make it as "Invisible" as possible to the end user OR use Precision Layout for the Section and "Hide" the Control behind the List Table.  Keep in mind that my screen capture really didn't do any of this so you can see it.

Hope this helps,

Ted Stolarczyk, SAS Customer Loyalty team

2_Param_Filter_Only_Enter_1.jpg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

Roberto:

Now re: this post of yours ...

You can avoid requiring the users having to input an additional parameter "ENTITY" but you still need to have it.

It can automatically be filtered by the NR Parameter though.  And then it can automatically filter the List Table.

See attached screen capture.

I used a Button Bar for ENTITY.  I imagine you could use other Controls as well.

They key though is ...

1) Don't show Frequencies for ENTITY within the Control

2) Under Properties ... un-check 'Enable selection in the viewers' and check 'Required'

3) For hard-coded Filter for the Control, eventhough it's displaying ENTITY, create an Advanced Filter where NR = NR_PARAM

4) Under Styles for the Control, try to make it as "Invisible" as possible to the end user OR use Precision Layout for the Section and "Hide" the Control behind the List Table.  Keep in mind that my screen capture really didn't do any of this so you can see it.

Hope this helps,

Ted Stolarczyk, SAS Customer Loyalty team

2_Param_Filter_Only_Enter_1.jpg
robertopostma
Fluorite | Level 6

Perfect! This indeed works for me.

I have to see a little more about how to hide the buttonbar best, but I'm sure we'll find a way to do this.

Thanks a lot for answering both my questions :---)

Roberto

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation