BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Shawna
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Everyone –

Currently evaluating different options for adding text commentary to a SAS Report in VA.  Had some questions about the limitations of the “Comments” section that I could not find the answer to in the administration guide:

1. Are comments backed up anywhere or are they directly tied to a SAS Report (2G) object?
  2. Are there any limitations o
  3. The number of comments that can be added to a report?
  4. The duration of comments (weeks, years)?
  5. File size of uploaded files to the comments?
  6. Do you recommend any alternatives to embedding or linking dynamic commentary to SAS Reports?

Thank you very much for any information you can provide!  Many thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

,  I can answer most of your questions immediately, but I need to do a little research on one of them...

1.  Comments are stored in a separate database, so they are not tied directly to the report.  The advantage is that a user doesn't need write permission on the report to add a comment about it.  Additionally, unless the user chooses to view the comments about a given report, he/she doesn't incur the overhead of fetching all of those comments.

2.  This question is pretty broad, so I am not sure of what you are wondering about.  One limitation is that because the comments are stored separately, they aren't included when the report is exported.  You also need to be careful when moving a report from folder to folder... if you make that move by copying, then deleting the original, you will probably lose the comments.

3.  There is no limit to the number of comments that can be added to a report.

4.  Comments don't have expiration dates, so they remain until someone does something to delete them.

5.  I don't know what the file size limit is... I'll check on this and get back to you.

6.  I don't have any other recommendations... It would be helpful if you explain what you are attempting to accomplish.

DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

I checked on the limit on attachment file size.  As far as I can tell, there is no files size limitation. 

Rama_s
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Shawna,

I know this discussion is very old, but I found something which could help you or someone who has similar requirement.

If you look into postgres database there is a table called sas_comment which has comments from 2G reports.

The postgres applications are located at \\SAS\Applications\SASWebInfrastructurePlatformDataServer\9.4\bin

I found the this table using the database admin application pgAdmin3.exe.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation