BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MikeBsocal
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All

I have 5 pages in a VA report. They are displaying different aspects of what we call health "markets" (eg. diabetes, allergies, Multiple Myeloma, etc). On Page 1, I have a Control / Parameter that allows me to select one market from the many we have available in the data. I want that Market selection to filter 2 other pages (which I know how to do by filtering on the Parameter from Page 1). However I want to be able to change the market selection on Page 2 as well -- and if I do, I want Page 1 and Page 3 to change to the Page 2 Market. Same thing for Page 3 -- if I change the market here, I want it to be reflected on Pages 1 & 2.

*Note that I have 2 other pages that CAN'T be filtered for Market so a Report Filter isn't an option.

Anybody know how to do that?

Thanks!

@Sam_SAS @HunterT_SAS 

3 REPLIES 3
acordes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I think that it's not possible.

I deal with this by placing the selector and the parameter, in your case related to 'market', on a specific report page for customizing. 

In my opinion this drawback is justified because parameters should be unique and autonomous by nature and what you're trying to do is make them dependent by each other. 

HunterT_SAS
SAS Employee

I also do not believe you can do this with separate filters on each page, but there are maybe two alternatives. 

Instead of having pages 1, 2, and 3 as separate pages, have you considered using a Stack Container on page 1, and essentially move the contents of these pages into separate "stacks". Then you can get by with a Page prompt for Market on Page 1 that filters the entire stack container, but being a Page prompt it wouldn't touch pages 4 and 5.

A slightly more complicated alternative is to change it so pages 4 and 5 are using a different datasource (assuming they aren't already, and even if it's just a duplicate of the datasource used by pages 1, 2, and 3), and then use a Report Prompt for Market but do not map it to the second datasource. That way when you change it, it will filter pages 1,2,3 but won't do anything to 4 and 5. However might be confusing to end users looking at page 4, seeing the Market prompt, and the prompt not actually doing anything. 

MikeBsocal
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks HunterT and acordes for your responses. I may try the stacked container approach. I haven't used those yet.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation