BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
me12
Calcite | Level 5

I have a drop dwon list that I have set to required that is also assigned a parameter. The data soruce feeding the drop down has row level security. When a user logs in the drop down is set to missing and the paramter is still storing the value last saved on in the report designer. How do I get the drop down and parameter to popluate correctly?

5 REPLIES 5
KeithM
SAS Employee

It sounds like you have two issues.  1. The row level permissions is not working for the user since no values are returned. 2. The prompt is retaining the last value used if no values are returned.

I think you need to focus on item 1 first.  You need to see what row level permission is being applied to the table.  If you have access to SASAdmin then this is easy to do and does not require a restart of the web app server.  Here are the steps

1. Log on to the SAS Web Administration Console with an administrative ID. The URL is in this form: http(s)://server:port/SASAdmin
  2. Expand Application Management and select Visual Analytics Designer.
  3. Expand Logging and set both root and com.sas to DEBUG, as shown in the following display. (These settings generate a lot of logging. Return these settings to WARN when you have completed your analysis.)

Once the logging is set, run the report.  Then navigate to the location of the Designer log.  That is typically located in a folder similar to -configuration-directory/Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer12_1.

Here is an example of what my log looks like when I login with my sasdemo account.  Notice the part in bold below.  The most common issue with identity based row level permissions is that the server is appended to the end of the id.  If that is not the form of your id data item on the source table then you won't get any results.

DESIGNER   ] DEBUG [tomcat-http--41] 2017-03-10 16:02:11,418 [ST-24703-DYdaVmmpcHUUMKP1TGvL-cas:sasdemo] com.sas.services.information.OMIServer
- checking authorization for  to Read on OMSOBJ:PhysicalTable/A5XB46DX.BN0001LX

[DESIGNER   ] DEBUG [tomcat-http--41] 2017-03-10 16:02:11,419 [ST-24703-DYdaVmmpcHUUMKP1TGvL-cas:sasdemo] com.sas.services.information.OMIServer
- Authorization check result is id CONTAINS 'SASDEMO@SASBI'/*VA<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><ex opId="contains"><ex v="id"
t="1"/><ex v="SASDEMO@SASBI" t="3"/></ex>*/ true

[DESIGNER   ] DEBUG [tomcat-http--41] 2017-03-10 16:02:11,419 [ST-24703-DYdaVmmpcHUUMKP1TGvL-cas:sasdemo] com.sas.lasr.services.logging.Performance
- Performance: Retrieve permission conditions: 1 ms

me12
Calcite | Level 5

The drop down list is popluating correctly based on row level security but it is not selecting from the avaliable rows into the drop down or paramter correctly.

KeithM
SAS Employee

So in this example, the Row level permissions is working correctly and the results for the data item used for the drop down list should have values.  If that is the case, please do the following:

1. Create a new report.

2. Add the RLS table.

3. Add a list table and a drop down list.

4.  Drag the data item over to both the list table object and the drop down list.

Do both of the objects populate?

KeithM
SAS Employee
I would like to create a tech support track with you and investigate this some more during a webex. If interested send an email to keith.myers@sas.com and include your name, phone number and email address.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation