Exploring, modeling, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

Migration plan of the SAS VA environment.

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Migration plan of the SAS VA environment.

I have one query that,I want to migrate windows VA server to Linux and I want checklist and procedure for that.Please give me detail and simple information as possible cause I am new in Administration(I am sas programmer but I want to know how to migrate ).

If anyone have checklist then please comment below.

Thanks in advance.

Smiley Happy 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎01-13-2017 06:01 AM
Super User

Re: Migration plan of the SAS VA environment.

Hi @india2016,

I could give you a quick checklist, and I will, but let me give you first the 9.4 Migration guide http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bimig/69173/HTML/default/viewer.htm#titlepage.htm

For you to know, there are 2 main wais to migrate: partial promotion (export and import spk packages from the SAS Management Console), or the SAS Migration Utility (SMU). For VA I would recommend the partial promotion because you can remain more in control, and it is not much extra time from SMU.

In short, very short (you should read the document):

- Install SAS VA and validate the installation on Linux.

- Implement integrations with your Active Directory and other systems (as your db drivers/connections, etc).

- Migrate your SAS datasets from Windows to Unix.

- Move your SAS code.

- Ensure permissions are fine on Linux for your code and SAS datasets.

- Migrate metadata security (users, groups, ACTs, etc).Ensure your Outbound access paswwords are filled manually.

- Migrate other things as Auth Domains and deployment folders

- Migrate metadata folders (empty folders)

- Migrate server definitions (your databases, settigs of your SASApps, etc)

- Migrate your meta libraries and ensure they are attached properly to the right connections.

- Test your libraries

- Migrate your metadata table definitions for the libraries.

- Migrate custom transformations, if any.

- Migrate your jobs/ queries/deployed jobs or queries/stored processes, and report-related items, as graphs (not the reports)

- Migrate your reports

- Migrate your distribution lists

- Re-schedule your queries and test they can be loaded into LASR.

- Test your environment, and reports.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

Hello @india2016,

I would understand you would like to know just about the migration part, not the installation of the new server on Linux.

For the migration: most of the VA items are just metadata, therefore they should be OS independent, like a normal promotion. If you know how to promote the metadata, you got it. If not, that is a different question. Please let us know if you need information about general promotions.

They things that are different on Linux:

• the installation, which I understand an experienced consultant will do it.
  • The availability of Hadoop and a distributed LASR for High performance, if you seelct the distributed version of VA (on windows, you have got only the option of VA non-distributed)
  • Scripts on Linux code: if you have got custom scripts, you will need to translate them from Windows to Linux. And for that you will need a Linux expert.
  • The scripts for the VA deployed queries: you will just need to re-schedule them (and the new schedule will be at as default, or cron).
  • Very important: it will be better to migrate all your SAS datasets to Linux. Not really required, but a best practice.
Contributor

Could you please explain how we make checklist for migration planning.Our migration will be done by administrator but I need to provide him checklist only.

Solution
‎01-13-2017 06:01 AM
Super User

Hi @india2016,

I could give you a quick checklist, and I will, but let me give you first the 9.4 Migration guide http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bimig/69173/HTML/default/viewer.htm#titlepage.htm

For you to know, there are 2 main wais to migrate: partial promotion (export and import spk packages from the SAS Management Console), or the SAS Migration Utility (SMU). For VA I would recommend the partial promotion because you can remain more in control, and it is not much extra time from SMU.

In short, very short (you should read the document):

- Install SAS VA and validate the installation on Linux.

- Implement integrations with your Active Directory and other systems (as your db drivers/connections, etc).

- Migrate your SAS datasets from Windows to Unix.

- Move your SAS code.

- Ensure permissions are fine on Linux for your code and SAS datasets.

- Migrate metadata security (users, groups, ACTs, etc).Ensure your Outbound access paswwords are filled manually.

- Migrate other things as Auth Domains and deployment folders

- Migrate metadata folders (empty folders)

- Migrate server definitions (your databases, settigs of your SASApps, etc)

- Migrate your meta libraries and ensure they are attached properly to the right connections.

- Test your libraries

- Migrate your metadata table definitions for the libraries.

- Migrate custom transformations, if any.

- Migrate your jobs/ queries/deployed jobs or queries/stored processes, and report-related items, as graphs (not the reports)

- Migrate your reports

- Migrate your distribution lists

- Re-schedule your queries and test they can be loaded into LASR.

- Test your environment, and reports.

Contributor

@JuanS_OCS Thank you very much for detail information.

Contributor

Sir,

Could you please explain  about  How to Migrate our SAS datasets from Windows to Linux

Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation