Exploring, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

LASR server memory consumption

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

LASR server memory consumption

How much byte of memory does LASR server take to store a length 1 character data and lenght 8 numeric data ?  

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Thursday
Super User

Re: LASR server memory consumption

@alexal wrote:

@babai88,

Each column in the LASR server is padded to an 8 byte boundary. If the character variable you are adding is not a multiple of 8 bytes, the variable will be padded to an 8-byte boundary.

Didn't know that. Now that can blow up a dataset quite nicely (if it contains lots of y/n type variables).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
How to convert datasets to data steps
How to post code

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super User

The answer is in your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to post code
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mr. Bremser,

I tried to estimate total table space considering each character takes 2 bytes and length 8 numeric takes 8 bytes. This gives me a fair estimate but not a exact or almost exact memory consumption value !!
Super User

There will always be an overhead for metadata, and artifacts of the page-wise organisation of datasets. But a 1-character field needs one byte, and the larger the dataset (in terms of observations), the smaller the overhead.

How to post code
SAS Employee

@babai88,

Each column in the LASR server is padded to an 8 byte boundary. If the character variable you are adding is not a multiple of 8 bytes, the variable will be padded to an 8-byte boundary.

Solution
Thursday
Super User

@alexal wrote:

@babai88,

Didn't know that. Now that can blow up a dataset quite nicely (if it contains lots of y/n type variables).

How to post code
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]
Posted in reply to KurtBremser

Is there anything like 8 byte padding in case of numeric columns ?

A numeric column of length 8 takes up 8 bytes of memory? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Super User

Correct. Numeric columns use 8 bytes of storage by default so no padding is done for these. If the LASR load table contains shortened numerical columns I presume padded would be done for these too.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation