BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tarikbirinci
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everybody,

I found csv file on the attachment for polinomial coordinates of Istanbul districts (there are 39, such as Kadıköy, Beşiktaş etc.). My purpose is to create a map like below. These are the districts of Istanbul and I will color this map by district's average speeds.

tarikbirinci_0-1614714376301.png

What should I do to get this map? DISTRICTS_NAME column from Istanbul table is matched with "İlçe Adı" column from my original speed data table.

Here are the steps that I tried:

tarikbirinci_1-1614714883875.png

tarikbirinci_2-1614714929056.png

Even thought it's %100 mapped, I don't see my expectations on the map. Here is how it looks like:

tarikbirinci_3-1614715049738.png

Can somebody help me about this issue? Thank you for your assistance.

3 REPLIES 3
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Hi,

Looking at your data sample and related X/Y columns - I don't think you have specified the correct coordinate system. Note, that Visual Analytics defaults to a coordinate system WGS84 (EPSG:4326) which is pretty popular projection. In your 3rd screenshot when you edit the geographic provider - make sure to enter the correct EPSG code for your data.

If you have imported the data from an ESRI shape file - you may also have access to related *.PRJ file. This text file usually has some more information about what projection your data is in. Otherwise you would need to check with the shape file provider to get more details.

It's really hard to guess a projection so hopefully you have that information handy!

Hope this helps. Regards, Falko

tarikbirinci
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Falko,

Thank you for your answer. We created data by joining the SASmaps data. So I think it has to be standard.

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

This has nothing to do with being standard. I was just saying that your provided table and related X/Y columns are not EPSG:4326 and therefore not compatible with the World Geodetic System (WGS84) coordinate system. You can either change the related projection when registering the provider to the correct one or see whether you can retrieve other value representations for X/Y. If you have used SAS maps data - you should use the LAT/LONG columns when joining as these are EPSG:4326. You can easily detect the type here as the range is from -180 to 180 (longitude) or -90 to 90 (latitude).

Hope this helps. Falko

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation