Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I have a LASR table which contains columns as below

IDTranDateFlg_1Val_1
131-Dec-15AA100
131-Jan-15BB200
231-Dec-15DD111
231-Jan-15AA

So i want to create calculated variables based on the comparision of values of Flg_1 for the 2 TranDate selected by the users for a particular ID (Something similar i can do with a merge using By variable as ID)

Currently i am doing it in SAS and loading the results back to LASR server, but i wish to have this dynamic based on the TranDate's that the user of the report select.

Let me know if there is any way to achive this requirement.

SAS VA Version : 7.1

Rgds,

Abhi

1 REPLY 1
TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

Abhi:

Formulas within a row (on a row by row basis) is accomplished within the VA Software ala 'Calculated Items'.

Formulas across rows (on a group by basis) is accomplished within the VA Software ala 'Aggregated Measures'.

An example output of 'Aggregated Measures' sort of based on your sample data is attached.

With that said, the "comparison of values" (as your worded it) possibilities is going to depend on what Aggregation functions the software provides (e.g. Min, Max, etc.) vs. the actual "comparison" you are hoping to accomplish.  Documentation on Aggregations possible within VA can be found here (note ... this is from v7.3 but should still apply to your v7.1):

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/68648/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n14e1aiiioais5n1ruouc...

(and above applies to Visual Analytics Explorer as well as Designer/Reporter).

Otherwise, if you need to perform some complicated IF-THEN-ELSE statement as your "comparison of values", you may have to alternatively transpose the data (prior to VA Reporting) so there's multiple columns (to compare) for each record of the data.  Then you would utilize 'Calculated Items' (and not 'Aggregated Measures').  For example ...

IF ( 'Variable A'n > 'Variable B'n )
RETURN (
  IF ( 'Variable A'n > 'Variable C'n )
  RETURN 'Variable A'n
  ELSE 'Variable C'n )
ELSE (
  IF ( 'Variable B'n > 'Variable C'n )
  RETURN 'Variable B'n
  ELSE 'Variable C'n )

Hope this helps,

Ted Stolarczyk, SAS Customer Loyalty team

SAS_VA_Aggregation_Example.jpg

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation