BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ncooperw
Calcite | Level 5

Hello!

I am currently working on a project within visual analytics. Within the geo map, is there anyway to assign custom data ranges for the color gradient? I currently have the bubble size set as frequency and the color field is set to an aggregated measure of fraud average. What I am trying to display is a data range in which I can set distinct colors to different ranges. For example, for the data in which fraud average is less than 0.4 assign green, between 0.4 and 0.7 assign yellow, and greater than 0.7 assign red. No gradual color change but rather just those three distinct colors being shown for those ranges. Is this possible? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Hi, Yes, you can just define an expression based display rule and assign the desired colors to each rule. More information about display rules are in the users guide: https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1lptr5t4ek3mxn15rcf...

Hope this helps. Cheers, Falko

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Hi, Yes, you can just define an expression based display rule and assign the desired colors to each rule. More information about display rules are in the users guide: https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n1lptr5t4ek3mxn15rcf...

Hope this helps. Cheers, Falko

ncooperw
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you!

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi ncooperw,

I'm glad you found some useful information from Falko! If his reply solved your problem, can you "accept it as a solution"? Or if it was particularly helpful, feel free to "Like" it. This will help other community members who may run into the same issue know what worked.

Thanks!
Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

jltz83
Obsidian | Level 7

Is there any way to include this information in the legend?

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Not with custom display rules for measures I believe. However you could try creating a custom category data item instead (data panel -> create new custom category). Then create new category values given the desired value range and assign this new data item as color to your geo map. The map should automatically color each data point given the distinct value of your category item and display the discrete legend. You can adjust colors in the right options panel (styles section) or by creating another set of display rules based on this data item.

Hope this helps. Falko

jltz83
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Falko,

I'm still not sure I can make this work. I can accomplish the discrete legend in a Bubble Plot using the method you suggest. However, the Geo Bubble Map requires a measure value, which produces a continuous legend. Something else I noticed is that I my ability to edit my color gradient and data ranges in my all of my objects is limited. We are using Visual Analytics 7.4 and the documentation says that I should be able to right-click the legend to edit colors and/or data ranges, which I cannot. There are three boxes next to the Color Gradient in my Styles tab, which I can edit. However, there are no color ramps available or other editing options in my Tree Map, Bubble Plot, etc., objects. Any idea what this might be?

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

I'm sorry - I was under the assumption you were using SAS Visual Analytics 8.x. The latest release had a number of changes including the ability to assign category data items to roles such as 'color'. This is supported for all geo types (bubbles/scatter/region). VA 7.x didn't have this feature and one was restricted to numeric columns.

In regards to your second question - I believe the ability to edit color ranges was limited to SAS Visual Analytics Explorer. Assuming you are using the Designer application?

jltz83
Obsidian | Level 7

That makes sense. Thanks for the follow-up. A few more things for us to look for when we move to Viya.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation