BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ita_sas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all.

I'm experimenting a problem in using filtering and ranking features in a bar-chart.

I have a category (CAT1) with more than 5000 occurrences and 2 measures (M1 and M2).

I need to show in a bar-chart the worst 10 items (not missing) according M1, but for which M2 >=5.

The problem is that with these filters and ranking I always have an empty chart.

I do some attemps and it seems as ranking is applied before filtering and not aftes (as I need!!!)

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

4 REPLIES 4
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi there,

maybe you can first create a new calc field M1_1 that only fills when M2 => 5.

Now you can use this measure in the bargraph and rank it.

greetings Peter.

ita_sas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi...

Thank you for your answer.

I've already tried an IF/ELSE statement with a new measure M1_1 with Missing in ELSE statement, but it doesn't work.

Now I try setting an out-of-scale value (in my much more big than max value, because I need to show the most little values) for M1_1 and in this case it works!!!

My be "Missing" value is not suit for classifications...

Thank you very much indeed!!!

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

As I understand it, the problem is that "Bottom" rankings in VA include missing values as the least values, so your calculated item,

IF M2 => 5

RETURN M1

ELSE .

Gives all missing values as its "Bottom 10" rank.

Is that what you are seeing?

If so, you might try adding a filter on the calculated measure and deselecting the "Include missing values" checkbox.

Or as a filter expression,

'M1_1'n NotMissing

I believe that should give you the desired result.

Thanks,

Sam

ita_sas
Calcite | Level 5

I've already tried, but it looks like VA ranks records before filtering.

So I use an out-of scale value for records for which M2 < 5.

Thanks a lot, anyway

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation