BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avinashaecwb
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

I am getting "E-mail could not be sent because: E-mail service error" while trying to send an email from Report Designer window. I did the following based on other posts in the community and google results:

1) SAS Management Console: set email.host and email.port in Application Management -> Configuration Manager -> Application Infrastructure.

2) Put system options as below in sasv9_usermods.cfg file:

-emailsys smtp
-emailhost mailer4.xxxxx.com.au
-emailport=587
-emailauthprotocol = login
-emailid=xxxxx@xxxxxx.com.au
-emailpw = xxxxxxx

3) Added below line in server.sml file:

<Resource auth="Container" mail.smtp.host="mailer4.xxxxx.com.au" mail.smtp.port="587" name="sas/mail/Session" type="javax.mail.Session" mail.smtp.auth="true" mail.smtp.user="xxxxxx@ticgroup.com.au" password="xxxxxxx" mail.smtp.ssl.enable="true"/>

4) Did Object Spawner and Server restart.

I still am getting same error. What am I doing wrong ?

I am providing userid value as my outlook email id.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
avinashaecwb
Obsidian | Level 7

The issue has been fixed. Google at rescue !!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

It really helps when receiving errors to post both the code and the entire error from the log window. Amazingly compared to some products many SAS error messages are actually descriptive. Also, sometimes the reported error is related to a warning received earlier.

Is the first time you are attempting to send emails or did this work in the past and has stopped working? If previously working code has stopped it often means that something has changed in your system. For instance, my IT organization is notorious for changing security settings without notifying users and processes failing is the first clue.

You may need to check with your IT staff about things related to smtp mail server, correct name, port and if you even have smtp running.

avinashaecwb
Obsidian | Level 7

@ballardw the error message actually is only "E-mail could not be sent because: E-mail service error". There is no Show Details or Log generated with error description. This is the first time I am trying to send out email from SAS VA Report Designer window. Also, there's no coding involved for this. I actually am able to send email successfully if I write a code using FILENAME statement and DATA Steps. However, I get the error if i use "Email" option from the menu "File".

kaushalsolanki
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I would like to suggest you that first try to send an e-mail through your server command prompt and after that try to send an email through SAS EG, For your reference has attached the link below.

http://support.sas.com/kb/18/363.html

After doing above two step you can go to SAS Visual Analytics for sending email.

Regards,

Kaushal Solanki

avinashaecwb
Obsidian | Level 7

The issue has been fixed. Google at rescue !!

sandeep_reddy
Quartz | Level 8
Hello Avinash,
Could you please let me know how you resolved this. I am experiencing the same issue even after doing all the configurations and restarts.
Best Regards,
Sandeep.
sas_admin
Calcite | Level 5

I know this is an old thread.  I had issues finding an answer and the SAS Intelligence Platform Middle Tier Administration isn't 100% on my specific case. Below is specific to the AWS SMTP server that uses TLS.

Environment:

Windows 2008 R2

SAS 9.4 M3

1) SAS Management Console: set email.host and email.port in Application Management -> Configuration Manager -> Application Infrastructure.

email.host = email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com

email.port = 587

2) Put system options as below in sasv9_usermods.cfg file: Note AWS SES credentials must be obtained

-emailsys SMTP
-emailport 587
-emailhost ("email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com" STARTTLS id=AWS_SES_Credential_ID pw=AWS_SES_Credential_Key auth=LOGIN port=587)

3) Added below line in server.sml file: Note the 'mail.smtp.starttls.enable="true"'

<Resource auth="Container" name="sas/mail/Session" type="javax.mail.Session" mail.smtp.starttls.enable="true" mail.smtp.auth="true" mail.smtp.host="email-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com" mail.smtp.port="587" mail.smtp.user="AWS_SES_Credential_ID" password="AWS_SES_Credential_Key"/>

4) Performed full SAS services restart, mainly for peice of mind.  At minimum, the WebAppServer(s) needs to be restarted.  In my case this is only SASServer1_1.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation