Exploring, modeling, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

E-mail could not be sent because: E-mail service error

Contributor

E-mail could not be sent because: E-mail service error

I am trying to send an email of one of the reports to myself via SAS VA. When I click on the send button, I get the following error message (picture below):

"E-mail could not be sent because: E-mail service error."

So I started digging a bit. In the following document and found this similar question and followed what Madelyn_SAS has written. The answer seems to be in the following document:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bimtag/66823/PDF/default/bimtag.pdf

I have gone through the instructions in the section SMTP Mail Server and have edited the server.xml file with my SMTP server information. I have also added the SSL option and have performed the 3 steps regarding SAS Management Console at the end of that session. But I keep getting the same error.

My question is: Does anything have to be restarted? Or would it suffice just to edit the file?

Is there any log in which I can see why this sending fails?

Capture.PNG

SAS Super FREQ

Re: E-mail could not be sent because: E-mail service error

Here are some thoughts:

• Make sure you edit the server.xml for each SAS Web Application Server (e.g., SASServer1_1, SASServer12_1, SASServer2_1)
  • Restart the web application servers after making the change.
  • Look in the SAS Visual Analytics Designer log and see if there is any additional information captured at the time that you got the email error. /SAS-config-dir/Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServerX_Y/SASVisualAnalyticsDesigner7.x.log
Contributor

Thanks Madelyn, I really like it when experts give detailed instructions instead of general jibber-jabber. I found the log file you told me to. Here is the latest entry in that. I think it has something to do with SSL.

[DESIGNER ] ERROR [tomcat-http--27] 2016-05-24 09:38:12,027 [ST-2-kZXSYrZYG2l1eFtc4fjk-cas:K_pedmob] com.sas.mobiledesigner.api.services.email.impl.EmailServiceImpl - Mail server connection failed; nested exception is javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: 192.168.27.12, port: 25;
nested exception is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?. Failed messages: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: 192.168.27.12, port: 25;
nested exception is:
javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
SAS Super FREQ

The following log might have a more specific message. Look for a timestamp around 2016-05-24 09:38

• /SAS-configuration-directory/Lev1/Web/Logs/SASServer1_1/SASPrincipalServices9.4.log

You also might want to consider opening a Technical Support track.

http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm

Select SAS Visual Analytics as the Product and include the following:

• all of your server.xml files
  • the SASPrincipalServices log
  • the SASVisualAnalyticsDesigner log

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation