BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All,
I hope you all are doing great, i’d like to get some help from you.

I have two pages named A , B in a X report.

I’ve a crosstab in A page when I double click the cells in it. It should take me to another crosstab in page B likewise, It must allow me to drill down. I request you all to please help me out on this. Thanks!.
21 REPLIES 21
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Did you go to Actions > Page Links and select the page with the second crosstab? If so, what is happening now when you click on the first crosstab? 

Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
Please accept my sincere apologies for not replying you back on time bcuz I was sick. The feedback to your suggestion is, actually when I do what you exactly mentioned, it is redirecting me to the B page but the thing is I want it to take me to the cross tabs in page B when I double click on the cells of some cross tabs in Page A. I hope you got my point or I’ll clearly explain it to you here.

I’ve a summary page named A which has crosstabs to show the total counts of network providers as well as the cost and Page B which also have crosstabs of total counts of network providers and cost based on some filters.
for example:
Based on the customerID I’ve network providers and the cost for it. So, if I double click the cells in the crosstabs of a summary page A, it should take me to the cross tabs from where it got those counts ( here crosstabs in Page B). Again, when I click the cells of crosstabs in page B , it should take me to the crosstabs from where it get counts for the crosstabs in page B. Likewise it should allow me to drill down.
Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
I request you all to please help me out on this.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

I am still not sure what is happening your report the way you have it now.

I made a test report like this:

drill1.png

There is a page link defined for this crosstab that targets Page 2.

If I click the hierarchy level headings on the vertical axis or click the ">" buttons, then I can drill/expand the crosstab. If I click the cells in the measure columns, then it opens Page 2 and passes in the filter:

drill2.png

You can actually set this up to work in reverse as well, but the behavior gets confusing when there are bidirectional link actions.

Let us know if that helps or if what you want is something different.

Thanks,

Sam

Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
I truly appreciate for replying me by providing an example. However, let me tell you what I exactly want from your snapshots. If i double click the frequency cell in page 1 which is 92 for All , it should take me to the crosstab or crosstabs of another page from where it was taken ( in your example it is page 2 ). I hope this is clear to you, if not please let me know or to put that in a simple way. The page1 is a summary tab contains totals of all the subtotals in crosstabs of page2 and the page3 will have the subtotal’s subtotals of page2 and the page4 will have the list table of data for all these 3 pages. So, I’d like to drill down from page1 to page4 just to see from page’s crosstabs data came from. Thanks a ton
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Your question is a little bit confusing, can you show us what you have now?

You say that the crosstab on page 1 will have totals of all the subtotals in crosstabs on two other pages. Is this something you have already created? I wouldn't think this would be possible to do in a straightforward way.

I am not sure whether you expect the page link from the crosstab on page 1 to open different target objects/pages depending on the cell you click. It will always open the same page and cannot be directed to a specific object on the target page. However, the data crossing you clicked will be passed to the target page as a filter. So clicking the cell at "All | 92" will set the filter "Drivetrain = All" on the target page.

Depending on the version of VA you have, it is possible this functionality was not implemented yet. Do you have a release earlier than 8.5 (and before Viya 4)?

Thanks,

Sam

Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
My apologies, I can’t really show you what I’ve bcuz it has sensitive info and pretty confidential. I use 8.5.2 version of sas viya. Yes I created those subtotals and it is confusing but how I did will let you know.

In page2, I used some of the crosstabs to show it as a pivot tables for the viewers. In those crosstabs I used a column named X which is a character as a row in ROLES and in the Roles for measure I used another column named Y which is a numeric. For each individual crosstab I used these two and added some filters for each one to get required subtotals as I’d wanted to see. All these subtotals in the crosstabs of page2 should be shown as totals in the crosstabs of page1 for that, I created some new columns those are the totals of these subtotals cuz they can’t be done in Viya right?. So, I created them along with the data table I use for this dashboard.

Basically my dashboard should be like an excel which has some pivot tables for each tab and when I click the cell in the summary tab of an excel file, it’ll highlight some cells from where that count came from so, this has to be replicated in sas viya so that the viewers can drill down the data if possible. And, Likewise if i start digging in it’ll take me to the last page which has list data. I hope this is clear to you.
Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
I believe somehow it’ll work for me. Could you please try to add total for the crosstab in page1 if possible?. If you add, what it should do like if I click that total cell the same should be applied as a filter in the next page which has list data and the rows should be selected which are relevant to that total. Does that make sense?.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Here is the crosstab with subtotals and totals enabled:

drill3.png

If you click the grand total cell (428) and a page link is configured for the crosstab, then the target page is opened without any incoming filter.

If you click the Subtotal: All cell above with the value 92, then the target page is opened with the filter "Drivetrain=All".

drill5.png

If I drill into the "All" hierarchy level instead of expanding it, then 92 becomes the total. If I click that, then it opens the target page with the filter "Drivetrain=All".

drill4.png

Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
Appreciate it, but instead of crosstabs in the target page, could you please place a list table so that when I click the grand total cell the target page should have rows selected?, and whatever filters that crosstab has should also be applied to the target page( In my case, I’ve filters for every crosstab) . I’ve tried to do that from myside but didn’t go well. Could you please walk me through the steps to do after doing what I’ve asked above ?. Thank you!.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

For a page link, I don't think you can set up a selection link. The link can only be a filter.

Within the same page, you can configure an object link to perform "brushed selection" instead of a filter.

Which would you like help with?

Sam

Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
In that case, link should be a filter for the target page when I click grandtotal but please make sure the target page has a list table instead of a crosstab or a bunch of crosstabs.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

So, page 1 has a crosstab with a hierarchy on it:

drill6.png

I added totals by selecting the object and then going to the Options pane and selecting Totals near the bottom.

Page 2 has a list table on it:

drill7.png

That's the only object on the page, and I didn't change any options.

Then I set up the page link by selecting the crosstab on Page 1 and going to the Actions pane. I expanded the Page Links heading and selected Page 2 as the target.

That is all I did. If I click the cells in the crosstab on Page 1, it opens Page 2 and filters on the selected cell. If I clicked the Total cell, then it opens Page 2 with no filter because the whole data contributes to the total.

If I enabled Subtotals on the crosstab (also on the Options pane), then clicking the subtotal cells will filter on the values that contributed to that subtotal value.

Hopefully this makes sense. It is all pretty basic, but I'm not completely sure if this matches what you want.

Pandu2
Obsidian | Level 7
Appreciate your efforts but, could you please allow the filters when I click the grandtotal cuz that’s how it’ll be in my dashboard?. Even if I select the cells instead of grand total, the filters aren’t applied to the target page here.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation