BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vjef_sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

Can someone provide details on disabling the Web Application "success" page in SAS VA? This is the page served on port 8080 and has text "Congratulations! You have successfully set up SAS Web Application Server." We'd prefer not to serve that page to users, as it has nothing to do with the content we're trying to serve. I'd also like to avoid having the server stop listening on 8080. It looks like I can edit <INSTALL_DIR>/sasconfig/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/webapps/ROOT/index.html . Is there a better way? Thanks for any help you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @vjef_sas,

did you already tried to modify INSTALL_DIR>/sasconfig/Lev1/Web/WebServer/htdocs/index.html ?

In other hand, not sure what you mean with stop it to listen port 8080.

Some background.

You should have at least a Web Server (httpd ) server, and at least one SASServer1_1, and maybe even SASServer2_1 and SASServer12_1, depending on your mid tier deployment.

With this configuration, SASServer1_1 should always listen on port 8080, but your users will log to the Web Server (httpd) port number. If we are missing some information from your deployment, please fill us in.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @vjef_sas,

did you already tried to modify INSTALL_DIR>/sasconfig/Lev1/Web/WebServer/htdocs/index.html ?

In other hand, not sure what you mean with stop it to listen port 8080.

Some background.

You should have at least a Web Server (httpd ) server, and at least one SASServer1_1, and maybe even SASServer2_1 and SASServer12_1, depending on your mid tier deployment.

With this configuration, SASServer1_1 should always listen on port 8080, but your users will log to the Web Server (httpd) port number. If we are missing some information from your deployment, please fill us in.

vjef_sas
Fluorite | Level 6

References to 8080 were just me saying that I want to avoid solutions that stop the server from accepting requests on that port. Since 8080 looks to be pretty integral to the Web applications component of SAS VA, I don't want to mess with it.

I have worked with modifying both <INSTALL_DIR>/sasconfig/Lev1/Web/WebServer/htdocs/index.html and <INSTALL_DIR>/sasconfig/Lev1/Web/WebAppServer/SASServer1_1/webapps/ROOT/index.html (from my original question), including simply renaming the files. I generate a 404 successfully, which might be exactly what I'm after here.

Thank you for your suggestions. I think part of my question should have been whether there are any suggested best practices and approaches around removing these test pages. My apologies for not stating that in my original question. I can certainly proceed with modifying or removing the files mentioned above.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello,

there are no best practices, except the general Web Application best practices.

Most of the changes won't be officially supported by SAS (although if you ask for help, anyone will be happy to try to help you out), but this is the software you purchased, therefore is up to you to modify its content as long as it is according to the legal agreements signed and accepted with SAS.

And where to make the changes: again, no best practice and no centralized location: some of them might come from the metadata, generated by SAS Code/Stored Processes, others from the content server (WebDAV), others from the static content on the Web Server, and others from the static or dynamic content from the SAS Web Applications... and some might come even from databases, such as the WIP database! Again, same as other web applications. I am aware it does not help much... but asking specific questions, you can get an specific answer, as the previous one.

Beware: if you change names or locations of content, you might need to modify the default web directory security settings... on which you would need to be extra careful, specially for VA, an application normally designated to be open to many people.

vjef_sas
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks again @JuanS_OCS. After some experimentation, renaming the index.html files to index.html.orig (or anything else) appears to have the desired effect without causing disruption.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation