BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
amorts
Calcite | Level 5

Is there anything I should be designing into a dimensional model specifically for SAS VA? For example star or snowflake schema?

I heard it extracts all the data from the database and loads it as a flat table - is this right? 

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Flat tables are by far the most common data model for SAS VA. Star schemas can be used but personally I've never found a need to use them so far. The main reason for using a star schema is to reduce storage requirements, with the downside of greater complexity.

However you can also reduce storage requirements for flat tables by combining the use of short character codes and user-defined lookup formats. In effect you are applying the star schema lookup capability without the complexity by using lookup formats.  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation