Exploring, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

Custom sort, is there a limit for the number of levels within the sorting

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Custom sort, is there a limit for the number of levels within the sorting

Hi,

I am using  SAS VA 7.4 and have been able to use custom sort. The variable that I am trying to sort has 60 different levels and while I was editing my custom sort, after a certain number of levels, I could not longer pass them to the column on the right.

Does SAS limits the number of levels in the custom sort?

If not, can you please advice what may be happening.

Thaks

Rita

custom sort example.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎03-08-2018 06:45 PM
Super User

Re: Custom sort, is there a limit for the number of levels within the sorting

The documentation states there is a limit of 25 data items you can specify in a custom sort:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n14ka0z8ty6bt0n1wqqzb...

An alternative approach would be to use user-defined formats to remap the order of the data. Unfortunately VA will still sort the formatted values in alphabetic order so you need to prefix the values with A, B C or 1, 2, 3 to get the required order.

What type of report do you want to use the custom sort on?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎03-08-2018 06:45 PM
Super User

The documentation states there is a limit of 25 data items you can specify in a custom sort:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n14ka0z8ty6bt0n1wqqzb...

An alternative approach would be to use user-defined formats to remap the order of the data. Unfortunately VA will still sort the formatted values in alphabetic order so you need to prefix the values with A, B C or 1, 2, 3 to get the required order.

What type of report do you want to use the custom sort on?

Highlighted
Contributor

Hi I would like to sort a list of location from north to south and not alphabetical. But it is fine. At least now, I know that 25 is limit and I can get most of them done, with the combination between the custom sort and alphabetical.

Thanks!

Rita

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation