Exploring, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

Create a dynamic year selector - SAS VA

Contributor

Create a dynamic year selector - SAS VA

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

I want  dynamic year selection For example, If I select 2012  in drop down list should get the result for the previous year(2011), current year(2012) and penultimate year(2010) in the bar charts. For reference I have attached the screenshot.

Super User

Re: Create a dynamic year selector - SAS VA

Posted in reply to india2016

Note that I've modified your subject line to make it more descriptive. 

SAS Super FREQ

Use a drop-down list control using the "year" category, add a parameter to contain the selected year.

Then use this parameter in the filter of the three bar charts to filter on the selectedYear, selectedYear -1, etc.

Make the year a calculated numeric data item, this will work with VA7.3 and VA7.4

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I would recommend revising your underlying data table structure!

From a performance point of view, if you are interested in always comparing Annual/Yearly aggregates (Current vs. Previous vs. Penultimate), then I would recommend calculating theses values ahead of time in your ETL and save them as physical variables in your final table.

Benefits this approach could provide you includes:

- Less Run-Time calculations

- Less Visual Objects to present Annual Changes ----> Fewer Run-Time queries against the data ----> Better LASR server performance for concurrent users.

- Ability to place all three annual values in a single visual and perform %change calculations much easier than your current approach.

Remember, use VA Explorer and Report Designer to experiment with ideas and prototypes, then once you are set on a layout or Report content, make required data changes to optimize your reports for production.

Just my two cents, Hope it helps,

Ahmed 

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation