I have been working with correlation matrices off and on, without thinking about this aspect too much ( one indication that perhaps it is not very important), but I noticed the following ,and wondered if there is a way to change it ?
- The gradient options provide for a starting color and an ending color (I would assume it is from lowest to highest like we generally perceive measures)
- However, the actual gradient is shown based on strength - weak to strong - therefore for -0.95 (strong negative) and 0.95 (strong positive), the same green color is depicted
- While I still find it useful (it helps in basic inference of variable relationships ), wouldnt there be value in changing this to a three color gradient - something like red - white - green, so that
* anything close to 0 (weak or almost no correlation) is white
* large positive correlation values are higher on the green scale
* large negative values are higher on the red scale
Perhaps convention dictates the current gradient, but I thought I will put this as a suggestion anyways. I understand there will be some internal feature request mechanism at SAS so perhaps this has been dealt with already.