Exploring, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

Can I customize icons in network diagram in SAS VA, have multiple network diagram ?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can I customize icons in network diagram in SAS VA, have multiple network diagram ?

We are working on a network diagram in SAS VA. We want to show social network width behavioral similarities. we have a few requirements around the same. 

1. The links depth/width should be automated by the closeness degree. more the  similarity more is the link width

2. We need to customize the icons for different entities.

3. can we make use of STP in network diagram

4. create multiple network diagram for an entity based on 3 different network analytical model

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Monday
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Can I customize icons in network diagram in SAS VA, have multiple network diagram ?

Hi,

the ability to add icons to visualizations such as geographical maps or networks has been added in SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 or later. Here is an example showing a network on a geographical map representing the US Interstates road network work with custom icons given each states flag:

va_us_interstates_network_flags.png

Also, in this version of VA is the ability to assign network metrics such as community or centrality to node size or color role. These metrics are not available for link attributes at this stage.

And yes, you are able to create multiple network visualizations if required. VA 8.x also supports multiple data sources if you have more than one model.

While it has been a little while - there is also a blog post about some aspects around social network analysis with VA. This post utilizes VA 7.x and as such shows the required pre-calculation of some of these network metrics. In 8.x network metrics are calculated automatically.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Falko

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Monday
SAS Super FREQ

Re: Can I customize icons in network diagram in SAS VA, have multiple network diagram ?

Hi,

the ability to add icons to visualizations such as geographical maps or networks has been added in SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 or later. Here is an example showing a network on a geographical map representing the US Interstates road network work with custom icons given each states flag:

va_us_interstates_network_flags.png

Also, in this version of VA is the ability to assign network metrics such as community or centrality to node size or color role. These metrics are not available for link attributes at this stage.

And yes, you are able to create multiple network visualizations if required. VA 8.x also supports multiple data sources if you have more than one model.

While it has been a little while - there is also a blog post about some aspects around social network analysis with VA. This post utilizes VA 7.x and as such shows the required pre-calculation of some of these network metrics. In 8.x network metrics are calculated automatically.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Falko

Occasional Contributor

Posted in reply to FalkoSchulz

Hi Falko, Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately we do not have SAS VA 8.2. We have the older version, so we are looking to use networks in explorations. Can you please provide insights to what we can do using SAS VA explorer. 

SAS Super FREQ

VA 7.x also provides access to the network visualization in Explorer so you will be able to create similar networks as in the newer version of VA. The main difference is that in VA 8.x the graph layout is calculated on the server along with additional network metrics as mentioned before. So if you need things like community or centrality - the previously linked blog post has some starting points regarding the pre-calculation required.

The VA 7.x users guide has information about the visualization and expected data structures: https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/vaug/69957/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p06eosr7smtwskn1qphl...

Hope this helps.

Regards, Falko

SAS Super FREQ

Posted in reply to FalkoSchulz

Also meant to include two examples of a network in 7.x:

VAE_social_media.pngExample VA Explorer - Social NetworkVAE_US_interstates.pngExample VA Explorer - US interstates network

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation