Exploring, modeling, predicting and reporting with SAS Visual Analytics and SAS Visual Statistics

Build a Map of Ireland with Counties in SAS VA

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Build a Map of Ireland with Counties in SAS VA

Hi

I am trying to build a simple map/graph of the Republic of Ireland, with 26 counties, in SAS VA.

I have been able to build the outline of the a map/graph, with the outline of Ireland using just the ISO two letter code - IE.  (I have specified as a geographic variable.

However, I am unsure as to which value to use for the county.  

I have created values as below  (county/clean county are just value I have use to clean up the county in our own data).

COUNTY

CLEAN_COUNTY

PROVINCE

_MAP_GEOMETRY_

COUNTRY

ID

REGION

IDNAME

OLDID

ISO_CODE

CO CARLOW

CARLOW

REST OF LEINSTER

id 1 of maps.ireland

I

CARLOW

IE-CW

The highlighted varaiables are all taken for the Maps library in SAS (Ireland & Ireland2 datasets).

Can I just us a SAS Map ID variable or are the X/Y co-ordinates for each address required or the county mid-point?

I hope this this makes sense.

thanks for your help

Bill

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-15-2014 06:16 AM
Regular Contributor

Re: Build a Map of Ireland with Counties in SAS VA

Hi Bill,

sorry but no experience with county boundaries, I always use cent coordinates given by Google.

Geo_Match.png

So I store the Log/Lat of the customer and center of country. Then the average of the countries by GeoArea is my lat/log for the GeoArea.

While assigning these Log/Lat coordinates to Customers/Counties/Countries/Area's, I create the drill-down hierarchies.

Anyway I am using 6.3 and will upgrade jan 2015 to 7.  Lets see if there are new options..

greetings and good luck.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Regular Contributor

Hi Bill,

Please check this previous discussion, maybe it helps you out in a different way. https://communities.sas.com/thread/57062?start=0&tstart=0

You can ask google for the center latitude/longitude by county and use the custom geografics.

Greetings  Peter

New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.  This is and will be useful.

I had managed to get the center latitude/longitude by county and create a custom geography (the large bubble is Dublin) but as you can see below I do not have any county boundaries. The map on the right uses the SAS Region name 'Ireland'

Do you know if SAS VA should display each centroid within its county/SAS defined sub-region boundaries?

I tried to create a hierachy linking country -> county centroid but am not able to get the points to map onto the larger Ireland map.

Thanks

Bill

Ireland_map.png

Solution
‎12-15-2014 06:16 AM
Regular Contributor

Hi Bill,

sorry but no experience with county boundaries, I always use cent coordinates given by Google.

Geo_Match.png

So I store the Log/Lat of the customer and center of country. Then the average of the countries by GeoArea is my lat/log for the GeoArea.

While assigning these Log/Lat coordinates to Customers/Counties/Countries/Area's, I create the drill-down hierarchies.

Anyway I am using 6.3 and will upgrade jan 2015 to 7.  Lets see if there are new options..

greetings and good luck.

New Contributor

Hi Peter.

That is perfect.  I will use this method to build the hierachies that I need. 

Thanks for your help.

Bill

Post a Question
Discussion Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 2 in conversation