BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AleCla
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I'm trying to put a basic bar chart together to show by month the relative percentage split of each category, but am running into difficulty!

I have tried creating a graph and using the grouping style 'Stack' and then using the aggregated measure 'frequency percent', however this is giving me the percentage over the overall time period / dataset. I need it fixed to each month so that it shows the percentage of the total for that specific month. Can someone advise how I can do this, or whether there is a specific aggregated measure I need to create to do this?

Cheers!

Alex

19 REPLIES 19
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Show your work.

AleCla
Obsidian | Level 7

It's a hard one to easily explain in SAS VA, but here's an example in Excel, where I have 5 categories by months to show their sales. I want to see the relative split of sales by month by the different categories, but when I try using the 'frequency percent' aggregated measure in SAS VA, it simply looks for the percentage of the overall total over the 6 months. For example, Shoes has 882 sales in January, and there were 2,790 total sales in January across the 5 products, so I want to see 882/ 2,790 (32%). However, SAS VA is calculating it as the percentage of the entire sales which is 882/13,447 (7%).

Here's a screenshot to explain it further:

StackedBarChartExample.jpg

AncaTilea
Pyrite | Level 9

How about this?

- I am using just a sample of your data;

data in2;

input grp $ sell month $;

datalines;

shoes    882    Jan

shoes    280    Feb

shoes    602    Mar

shoes    223    Apr

shoes    221    May

shoes    842    Jun

socks    280    Jan

socks    633    Feb

socks    465    Mar

socks    625    Apr

socks    104    May

socks    403    Jun

tee    763    Jan

tee    637    Feb

tee    141    Mar

tee    102    Apr

tee    663    May

tee    98    Jun

;

/* Suppress the group axis label and values */                                                                                         

axis1 label=none value=none;                                                                                                           

/* Angle the label for the response axis */                                                                                            

axis2 label=(angle=90 'Percent');                                                                                                      

proc gchart data=in2;                                                                                                                 

vbar month / discrete subgroup=grp                                                                                            

group=month g100 nozero                                                                                              

freq=sell type=percent                                                                                               

inside=percent width=20

gaxis=axis1 raxis=axis2 ;                                                                                          

run;                                                                                                                                   

quit;

Good luck.

Anca.

thees
Calcite | Level 5

Even though your solution works fine, I do not think this is what the author was looking for.

As far as I know, he would like to solve this problem solely using Visual Analytics.

I have tried out a couple of things myself, but nothing seemed to deliver the expected results.

AleCla
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, I'm trying to do this using solely SAS Visual Analytics,

Cheers,

Alex

mlogan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Anca,

Your code is working for one of my analysis, but can you please tell me how do I create 100% stack bar on character variable. Let say grp (% of type of grp) on month in this case.

I would much appreciate if you can help.

Thanks,

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

In VA 6.3 (release planned for December 2013), you will be able to do that by combining aggregated measures with the ability to define new chart templates (this is new in 6.3). I've added a screenshot.Picture1.png

AleCla
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks a lot for this Renato, good to know this is very shortly going to be available!

Cheers,

Alex

thees
Calcite | Level 5

You could use a filter on the month attribute selecting any one month. This way the sum of percentages over the stacked categories on that month sums up to 100%.

To compare two month, just create another chart next to it.

This is quite dirty, but does the trick for the time being Smiley Wink

Bastiaan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Renato, I need to do exactly the same thing, and your answer sounds very promising. However still I can't figure out how to do it. I'm assuming you use the Custom Graph Builder in VA 6.3, but that's where I get stuck. Could you elaborate a bit more on how you tune the definition of a bar chart (I'm assuming) in Graph Builder to get it to show the % on the Y-axis? Anything else I need to know? What (aggregated) measure do I create or use?

Regards, Bastiaan

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Bastiaan,

I'll put some instructions together and share it here, hopefully today.

Stay tuned!

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

It's attached.

Sorry it took so long, but I wanted to make sure I covered every aspect of it.

Let me know if you have questions.

Renato.

Bastiaan
Calcite | Level 5

Renato, thank you so much for these instructions! It's really great that you took the effort of pulling these together. This method is a bit of a workaround, but it is suitable if the number of categories on the X-axis is fixed, known and limited. I need to do some more analysis on my side to see if this will work in my client's situation. I'll let you know.

On a related note: is another graph type, or maybe an extension of the properties of the existing bar chart, on the roadmap for VA? This type seems to be fairly common in Excel, and I think many clients find it useful.

Kind regards, Bastiaan

justin_sas
SAS Employee

Hey Bastiaan,

The 100% stacked bar chart is on the roadmap for VA, we will let you know when we know for sure which release it will be in.

Regards,

Justin

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 15 likes
  • 10 in conversation