BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Krishnam
Calcite | Level 5
I have Jaccard score in comparing two strings to check the similarity/Dissimlarity using R. 
I tried to replicate the same in SAS but couldn't achieve it.
Can you please let me know if there is function/way to get jaccard score in SAS for
comparing two strings "Krishna" and "Krishna Reddy"

I tried to replicate in SAS with proc distance but no luck.

in R
library(stringdist)
stringdist('krishna', 'krishna reddy', method='jaccard')

result is 0.3636

Specifically looking for Jaccard distance only.

Appreciate any help!
3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

What is the meaning of the Jaccard distance between strings in R? Is it based on the presence/absence of letters, words, sounds, in the strings?

SAS has many specialized functions for computing the distance between strings: COMPGED, COMPLEV, SOUNDEX, SPEDIS, as well as CALL COMPCOST.

PG
Krishnam
Calcite | Level 5
hi,

Here is the illustration with example
say you have two strings 'abcde', 'abdcde', I split them into double letters characters combinations including space in the order and flag the occurrence in sting v1(abcde) and string v2(abdcde).

ab bc cd de dc bd
V1 1 1 1 1 0 0
V2 1 0 1 1 1 1

v1 intersection v2=3
v1 union v2 =6 so
my score is 1 - 3 / 6 =0.5
AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi Krishnam,

I've moved your post to the Text Analytics Community so that more experts may be able to help out.

Anna

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation