BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aha123
Obsidian | Level 7

For my dataset, Text Cluster Node produces 10 clusters, 16 SVD and 16 Prob columns/variables in the output dataset.

Questions:

1) How are these 10 clusters related 16 SVD variables?

2) Do 16 SVD variables represent "concepts" which are different from clusters?

3) How are Prob variables computed? 

1 REPLY 1
BrianLoe
Fluorite | Level 6

SAS Text Miner computes a term-by-document matrix A, where the i-th row and j-th column represents the number of times that the i-th term appears in the j-th document.  A has N rows where N is the number of terms in the corpus, and M columns where M is number of documents.  You can think of the M columns of A, each of which represents a document, as vectors (or points) in an N-dimensional term-frequency space. The SVD rotates the points so the most variation of your corpus of documents lie in the direction of the first coordinate SVD_1, the second coordinate SVD_2 points in an orthogonal direction that gives the next most variation in the corpus.  These vectors represent term-frequency profiles that are convenient. In fact the SVD helps reduce the dimensionality of the problems by only considering a limited number of directions. Since you have 16 SVD vectors, SAS has reduced your corpus to a 16 dimensional subspace of the full term-frequency space.

Clustering is more easily accomplished relative to the SVD coordinate system.

The probability columns represent the likelihood that each document belongs to a cluster. If you have 10 clusters, there should only be 10 probability columns. Each document is assigned to the cluster that corresponds to the maximum likelihood. I am not sure about the details of how the probability is determined. I assume that it is something like a linear discriminant analysis.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation