BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Dougfoley2
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to SAS so my question might be simple but i can not find anything on the internet to answer it so that is why I am asking it. I have some data that I am doing a proc sort on. In the data the information is organized randomly so I am doing my initial sort on the employee_id. Then i am using a proc print to sum the profits of individual employees based on their id. to this extent now i need the profit to be sorted by the total of their sales so highest profit generator to the top and in a descending manner. Can you help?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
art297
Opal | Level 21

Sounds like you have at least employee_id and some_profit_variable. Couldn't you just sort by:

by employee_id descending some_profit_variable;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Dougfoley2
Calcite | Level 5

The profit is based on transactions so the proc print is generating the sum for each employee. At this step is when i would need to restructure the data generated to make the total profit from the individual transactions in a descending manner.

Astounding
PROC Star

Do you need to print each individual sale, or do you need to print just the total of all sales per employee_id?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

PROC PRINT is just a method to display data.

If you want to calculate sums then use PROC SUMMARY. With PROC SUMMARY you might be able to avoid the original sort and just use a CLASS statement instead of a BY statement.

proc summary data=have nway ;
class employee_id ;
var profit ;
output out=want sum= ;
run;
proc sort data=want ; by descending profit ; run;
proc print;
 var profit employee_id;
run;

(or possible roll your own by writing a query using PROC SQL).

proc sql ;
  create table want as
      select employee_id,sum(profit) as profit 
      group by 1
      order by 2 desc
  ;
quit;

You could also look at using PROC FREQ and trick it into make a sum by using your PROFIT variable as a WEIGHT variable.  But watch out if you have negative or zero values for profit.

proc freq data=have order=freq ;
  weight profit ;
  tables employee_id;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation