BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JohannesLang
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I started working with SAS ConCat Studio a while ago, being a computational linguist and a SAS programmer so far.

To me it seemes to be a powerful and easy-to-use tool for various categorization and information extraction usecases.

Yet, I did not find any documentation on the application programming interfaces (APIs), apparently needed to send documents to the ConCat server for processing.

Does anyone know where such documentation (preferrably javadoc - for the Java programming language) can be found?

Best regards!

Johannes from Germany

9 REPLIES 9
JuliaM
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Johannes,

I have a copy of the Java Programmer's Guide for the SAS Content Categorization.

It might be out-of-date. Can someone from SAS check to see if there is a more current copy?

JohannesLang
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi JuliaM,

thank you for sharing this document, that is the information I was looking for!

Unfortunately, I realized that the ConCatServer-API is not licensed at my site, so I cannot try it out (the required Java library files (jar) are not present). This is awkward because we actually have the server installed, and cannot send documents (or am I getting something wrong?).

regards,

Johannes

mdwallis
SAS Employee

Hello Johannes,

Can you access the CatCon server installation folder?  There should be a client_api folder present that will contain the various client APIs (e.g., java, python, etc.).  The java version should have a corresponding jar file for containing the types necessary for communicating with the CatCon server.

In addition, to your "ConCatServer-API" not being licensed, are you referring to not having (or an expired) SETINIT license?  The CatCon server should execute as a dedicated service (e.g., Windows service, cron job, etc.).  Can you verify if this is the case?

Thank you,

Michael

JohannesLang
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Michael,

when I access the CatCon server installation folder "Teragram Catcon Server", there is no client_api folder (directly or nested) and there are no jar files.

There are four subfolders conf, data, descriptors, doc.

The CatCon server is indeed running as a windows service.

My SETINIT license contains the following products:

[...]

*PRODNUM671 = CNTCATSET SAS Content Categorization;

*PRODNUM811 = ENTCNTCATSRV SAS Enterprise Content Categorization;

[...]

So my thought was that I just dont have the Java client API licensed.

Regards,

Johannes

mdwallis
SAS Employee

Johannes,

Can you tell me what version of SAS Content Categorization you are using?  This will help me to narrow in on past product releases and to further examine what was distributed at that time.

Thanks,

Michael

JohannesLang
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Michael,

I am using SAS Content Categorization Studio Version 5.2, and the server also seems to be 5.2 (brought a PDF manual which contains that version number).

I just discovered that in the initial software order email (july 2012), there was a download link for "SAS Content Categorization Server Java SDK".

So maybe its all my fault, because I apparently didnt download and install it. Now the download link has expired, so I cannot retry.

regards

Johannes

mdwallis
SAS Employee

Johannes,

The SAS Content Categorization Server 5.2 release was shipped without the client API.  A separate client API package was created for users to download.  When looking at the most recent release of this product (12.2), the client APIs are bundled together with the server download, which includes both Java and Python.  There are also client APIs available as separate downloads that target C# and Perl.

Do you know when your software license will expire?  I am guessing your SETINIT files are still valid but your software order download link is not available.

UPDATE: Can you also provide me with your order number and/or tech support number (if you have one)?  I would like to help you gain access to the Java SDK download and with such information made available, I may be able to help.

Thanks,

Michael

JohannesLang
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Michael,

thank you for this insight.

My license has actually already expired, and the "grace period" will end in 56 days (8 weeks) from now.

It is a license in the context of a testing agreement that we have as a SAS partner.

Perhaps I am able to get a free renewal in this case, I dont know.

The setinit says our site id is "70138552".

We have currently an opportunity with SAS at a german customer who purchased ConCat for information extraction purposes.

I would like to gain some deeper understanding of how the client/server building blocks work together, to be able to asses the architecture.

regards,

Johannes

mdwallis
SAS Employee

Hi Johannes,

My apologies for the delay in responding as I was awaiting feedback from appropriate personnel regarding how best to move forward on this issue.

At this point, I believe the SAS Germany office will need to step in to handle this request.

There may be an obstacle to get around.  According to SAS contracts/GIDB, only 12.1 was provided (no indication of 5.2). The SAS Germany office will not be able to provide software for version 5.2  (that office will touch back to SAS HQ for such a request).  However, since you already have 5.2, then I believe an extension of the SETINIT license file will be what is required.  I am currently awaiting feedback as to which office would be best to handle a SETINIT extension.  Either way, it would be best to have SAS Germany involved at this point.

Please email me at michael.wallis@sas.com so that I may further help establish contact between you and a SAS Germany representative.

Thank you,

Michael

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to choose a machine learning algorithm

Use this tutorial as a handy guide to weigh the pros and cons of these commonly used machine learning algorithms.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation