BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
wy2sl0
Calcite | Level 5

Hi there,

Sorry I am just starting out using SAS. I have been doing some basic data manipulation and cannot seem to find a how-to on using the wildcard function with IF statements.

Here is what I wrote;

data work.cars;
set work.cars;
if displ=>0 and City_MPG=>30 and model^="*hydrid*" then Eff='Yes';
if Model='%Hybrid%' then Eff='Hyb';
run;

I am simply trying to weed out any vehicle models that have Hybrid (non-case sensitive if possible) in their name from my Eff(icient) column. What have I done incorrectly? It isn't giving me errors, but the Hybrid vehicles are not changing to "Hyb", they are just saying "Yes" from my previous IF statement.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

use index function for that

if index(LOWCASE(model),'hybrid') then ....

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mohamed_zaki
Barite | Level 11

use index function for that

if index(LOWCASE(model),'hybrid') then ....
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @wy2sl0,

In string comparisons in the DATA step those "wildcard" characters have no special meaning. They are treated as ordinary characters.

The LIKE condition in PROC SQL, however, uses the percent sign and the underscore (not the asterisk) as wildcard characters. But I haven't seen or used this very often, because there are other tools available, e.g. character functions such as the INDEX function suggested by mohamed_zaki.

In any case you should avoid typos such as "hydrid" when coding string comparisons. (Or did you really mean "hydrid"?)

wy2sl0
Calcite | Level 5

Total mistake! I am going to try the advice given after dinner thanks you two.

EDIT: It worked perfectly! Thanks so much! This is a very important IF statement I will need to use. Appreciate it!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation