BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Does anyone have any tips on how to make the migration from SAS Display Manager to SAS/Studio for someone that has a lot of methods developed in SCL code?  Here is a note I got from a friend. 

I reuse some classes I developed over years, but generally I just do my analyses using SAS/AF as a vehicle.

Is there any tricks to make it easier to transition to SAS/Studio for such users?  

Perhaps ways to convert SCL methods into DS2 code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

As @ballardw and @SASKiwi already pointed out, reuse of this is probably out of the question. The only way I can see calls to these methods are through PROC DISPLAY, and integrate that into SAS Studio...nah.

Not aware of any migration tricks. Of course you can use the existing SCL as inspiration/requirements for implementation (rewrite) in other SAS components. But which, depends on what those methods do. Macro, SAS Studio tasks, snippets...

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Do you have the code involved for those methods? If not then this will be pointless project.

Any data manipulation should be possible but tranferring widgets such as drop down lists or push buttons likely is not going to be easy if at all possible.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Only non-screen based methods are likely to work. You can only start an SCL method in SAS code as there is no command line in SAS Studio. SCL catalogs would need to be stored in a folder accessible to the SAS App server.

You would still need SAS Display Manager on a PC for maintaining the SCL.  

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

As @ballardw and @SASKiwi already pointed out, reuse of this is probably out of the question. The only way I can see calls to these methods are through PROC DISPLAY, and integrate that into SAS Studio...nah.

Not aware of any migration tricks. Of course you can use the existing SCL as inspiration/requirements for implementation (rewrite) in other SAS components. But which, depends on what those methods do. Macro, SAS Studio tasks, snippets...

Data never sleeps
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Thanks all.  It looks like the solution is to rebuild the methods using newer tools.

It would be interesting if anyone has any success stories of making the transition from using SCL to newer SAS tools.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

It's worth mentioning that a lot of SCL functions are useful in the DATA step and macro, especially those related to dealing with SAS datasets or external files.

AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11

We just finished a 6 month project converting a 500 user super complex AF / SCL application with 0000's of lines of SCL across hundreds of SAS catalogs.

It was turned into a Stored Process Web Application (using HTML5 to replace frames) and I got rid of the SCL by creating a "transcoding kit" - basically rebuilding all the SCL functions with fcmp, creating method lookups, and exporting all the SLISTS as datasets.  This meant I could literally copy paste the SCL and run it in regular SAS (eg SAS Studio).  It was the only way, given the volume and complexity of the task, without doing a complete rebuild.

You can read more about it here, the slides are attached.  

/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation