Write and run SAS programs in your web browser

ERROR: (execution) Invalid subscript or subscript out of range.

New Contributor

I am doing a permutation test and i have gone as far as getting difference of the means using proc ttest. My next step is proc iml and thats where am stuck.

i keep getting the following error message on the log:

106         ods output off;

107 ods exclude all;
108 *borrowed code from internet ... randomizes observations and creates a matrix ... one row per randomization ;
109 proc iml;
NOTE: IML Ready
110 use pocketcash;
110 ! * change data set name here to match your data set name above;
111 read all var{school cash} into x;
WARNING: Variable cash excluded because of type mismatch with x.
111 ! *change varibale names here ... make sure it is class then var ... in that order.;
112 p = t(ranperm(x[,2],1000));

operation : [ at line 112 column 17
operands : x, , *LIT1002
x 30 rows 1 col (character, size 8)

*LIT1002 1 row 1 col (numeric)

What am i doing wrong?

thanks

Super User

Re: ERROR: (execution) Invalid subscript or subscript out of range.

Fix your errors in the order they come, since errors cascade. 

WARNING: Variable cash excluded because of type mismatch with x.

Fix this first, likely the variable 'cash' is character when it should be numeric. 

New Contributor

No "cash" is numeric. and school is a character variable.

Super User

Post the actual code you're referencing. Make sure it runs with their data and then switch to your data. 

New Contributor

*borrowed code from internet ... randomizes observations and creates a matrix ... one row per randomization ;
 proc iml;                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
 use pocketcash;                        * change data set name here to match your data set name above;                                                                                                                             
 read all var{school  cash} into x;      *change varibale names here ... make sure it is class then var ... in that order.;                                                                                                 
 p = t(ranperm(X[,2],1000));            *Note that the "1000" here is the number of permutations. ;                                                                                                                                   
 paf = x[,1]||p;                                                                                                                                                                                                             
 create newds from paf;                                                                                                                                                                                                      
 append from paf;                                                                                                                                                                                                            
 quit;

Not sure why its posting with the breaks but i hope it makes sence to you,

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation